none
Does Message Analyzer Support Network Monitor Custom Parsers? RRS feed

• Question

• I have written a custom NPL parser for my project at work, and it's working great with Network Monitor.  I was wondering if it was possible to migrate my custom parser to the new Message Analyzer?
    Monday, January 28, 2013 7:41 AM

All replies

• We are considering a tool to do provide some kind of migration to the Message Analyzer OPN.  However, the fidelity of the resulting OPN will not be the same as NPL.  But I can't say for sure we'll put a lot of resources into this tool, so things are up in the air right now. 

How large is your protocol?  Do you have a data structures defined?

Thanks,

Paul

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 4:30 PM
  • The parser is about 1200 lines with several data structures defined.

What is Message Analyzer OPN?  Is that the replacement for NPL?  I couldn't find much information on google.

Thursday, January 31, 2013 3:11 AM
  • OPN is a new language that Message Analyzer is built on.  It's a much more rich language than the data based parsing language of Network Monitor.  We don't have much published on it yet as we've been focusing our documentation efforts on using the product first. 

However, all the current protocols that Message Analyzer uses ship with the product, so just like in Network Monitor, you can see how Message Analyzer parsers use OPN instead.  If you know of a similar protocol, you could use that as a basis.

Michael Hawker | Program Manager | Network Monitor

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 10:54 PM