none
Internet Explorer 9 and Compatibility View Settings RRS feed

• Question

• A few weeks ago we were documenting some of our Internet Explorer 9 settings and we noticed in Compatibility View Settings our intranet was listed in the "Websites you've added to compatibility view" list. We confirmed this on half a dozen freshly built machines. At the time we assumed this had been added in the image.

Two weeks ago we started getting reports of intranet sites no longer working and the intranet was no longer listed in Compatibility View Settings. We checked another batch of 6 newly built machines and confirmed the setting is no longer there however we have found a handful of machines where the setting is still present. We have confirmed this setting was never included in any of our images.

We have gone through all our policies and we do not have any policies which are setting this. Not to mention none of the recently modified policies have anything remotely to do with this setting. Our login script is also not configured to set this.

Can anyone tell me if there is any scenario where Internet Explorer 9 will automatically add a site to the Compatibility View List. I found a very nice writeup of how the autorecovery feature works in IE 8 but I have not been able to find a similar writeup for how it works in IE9 and am wondering if they made autorecovered sites persist across browser restarts.

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 4:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my experience. Whether the website is intranet or not, if we choose the compatibility view, the website will be automatically added to the compatibility view list.

Even when we restart the IE, the websites will still be there.

Hope this helps,

Ada Liu

Thursday, November 7, 2013 7:13 AM
  • A few weeks ago we were documenting some of our Internet Explorer 9 settings and we noticed in Compatibility View Settings our intranet was listed in the "Websites you've added to compatibility view" list. We confirmed this on half a dozen freshly built machines.

How are your IE settings managed during imaging, and what imaging process do you use?

I don't have the answer, but I am trying to figure this out myself for similar reasons.

We use MDT, with an IEAK application step.  However, IEAK doesn't seem to contain the ability to add sites to compatibility view, and I'd be interested to see what suggestions you get here.

At the moment, my preferred option is to effect a server side change on the Intranet page concerned, so that it will tell IE itself to use compatibility view.   The Intranet site is for an enterprise application and there are several change control hoops to jump through, so it will be a while before I can test it.... but if you're looking to try it yourself, the details you might need are here and here .

• Edited by Eoin Ryan Thursday, November 7, 2013 9:18 AM
    Thursday, November 7, 2013 9:16 AM
  • Thank you Ada. I have observed that as well if the compatibility list button is clicked, it gets added to the compatibility list and is preserved across browser restarts. In this case however we are certain no one has clicked the compatibility view button since we were seeing it in the compatibility view list on freshly built units. Now a couple weeks later we are not seeing it in the list on freshly built machines. According to the image team it was never being added to the list in the image and we have confirmed this.
    Thursday, November 7, 2013 11:58 AM
  • Eoin,

We use MDT for imaging but unfortunately (for issues other than this) they did not use IEAK to build the IE installation. It's just a standard install with all defaults. We use policy to change any settings as needed. There is a policy (Use Policy List of Internet Explorer 7 sites) which can manage sites in the compatibility view list. We are not using it, but will be once I get it through change management. I would prefer to use your preferred option. Unfortunately my group does not have anything to do with the intranet sites so changing the document type in code or adding a doctype server side to IIS/Apache is not an option. Not to mention there are probably hundreds of different intranet servers in our environment.

A couple caveats though. When a site is added through this policy it will not show up in the GUI in IE9. Also I have not been able to get it to work as a user policy but works fine as a computer policy. This policy is stored in the registry in HKLM or HKCU in \Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\BrowserEmulation\PolicyList so you could use a script or reg import to add sites during the imaging process.

Thursday, November 7, 2013 12:26 PM