To set different cost for one work resource in Project Server 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Experts

I have situation to assign 2 different cost rates for same resource, for an example 

1. I need to set $500 for Project 1 to Santosh 
    2. I need to set $1000 for Project 2 to Santosh 

As am aware, this is not feasible in Project server. 
    Any other ways or suggestions to achive above functionality

Regards

Santosh

Monday, December 28, 2020 8:08 AM

Answers

• itsmesantosh1982,

Why do you say it's not feasible? All you need to do is to use different resource Cost Rate Tables. Open the Resource Information window and click on the Costs tab.

In this example I set up the Santosh resource with a Standard Rate of $500, which by default is Cost Rate Table A

(sorry, insert function not working)

Then I switched to Cost Rate Table B and set Santosh's rate to $1000

I created a simple plan with two tasks, one representing Project 1 and the second representing Project 2. (I could have alternatively set up two separate projects with a resource pool). I assigned Santosh at 100% to both "Projects". In the Task Usage view I added the Cost Rate Table field and set it accordingly for each "Project". Note the Cost field shows the two different rates.

Hope this helps. Sorry, my screen shots aren't working at the moment.

John

Monday, December 28, 2020 3:32 PM

All replies

• itsmesantosh1982,

Why do you say it's not feasible? All you need to do is to use different resource Cost Rate Tables. Open the Resource Information window and click on the Costs tab.

In this example I set up the Santosh resource with a Standard Rate of $500, which by default is Cost Rate Table A

(sorry, insert function not working)

Then I switched to Cost Rate Table B and set Santosh's rate to $1000

I created a simple plan with two tasks, one representing Project 1 and the second representing Project 2. (I could have alternatively set up two separate projects with a resource pool). I assigned Santosh at 100% to both "Projects". In the Task Usage view I added the Cost Rate Table field and set it accordingly for each "Project". Note the Cost field shows the two different rates.

Hope this helps. Sorry, my screen shots aren't working at the moment.

John

Monday, December 28, 2020 3:32 PM
  • Thank you so much John for your reply.

I already made same changes and published the plan into project server 2016. however when i close and re-open the plan cost rate table depicts $0 for B .

Not sure whether its bug or expected behaviour in project server.

Regards

Santosh

Monday, December 28, 2020 5:46 PM
  • Santosh,

Unfortunately I don't used Project Server so I can't help further but let me direct the Project Server expert to this post.

John

Monday, December 28, 2020 6:06 PM
  • thanks a ton for your help John . 

Regards

Santosh

Monday, December 28, 2020 7:49 PM
  • Your Project Server administrator needs to set the cost rates for the resource on cost rate tables A and B for the resource in the enterprise resource pool. Only your application administrator can set cost rates for an enterprise resource. Once those rates are set, you can apply the correct cost rate table for the resource assignments in each project.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Proposed as answer by KHURRAM RAHIM Wednesday, December 30, 2020 1:52 AM
    Tuesday, December 29, 2020 12:22 AM
  • Thanks Dale unfortunately i forgot to set the rates in enterprise resource pool. I am all set now.

Thanks a lot John and Dale for kindly help.

Regards

Santosh

Tuesday, December 29, 2020 5:19 AM
  • Santosh,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Tuesday, December 29, 2020 3:17 PM