Detecting relationships when loading to the data model RRS feed

• Question

• I have a query that returns a large dataset that gets loaded to the data model.

The last two steps (according to the messages under the query in the Workbook Queries window) are:

1) Detecting relationships...

2) Load to Data Model...

The Detecting relationships step takes much longer than the Load to Data Model step. But I have no other data loaded in the data model so there can be no relationships to detect.

Can you explain what this Detecting relationships step is actually doing?

Thank you

Saturday, October 18, 2014 3:31 PM

Answers

• This message is misleading, unfortunately. You're seeing it because it's the last task on a refresh to produce a message, but what's actually being done is a refresh of the preview information used by the editor. This is a persistent complaint, so we're trying to figure out how to reduce the time this part of the refresh takes.
    • Marked as answer by R Noone Monday, October 20, 2014 7:23 PM
    Monday, October 20, 2014 2:23 PM

All replies

• R,

Are you loading multiple tables?
    Based on this article it seems when you import multiple tables Power Query attempts to detect relationships and import those relationships as well. 

Regards, Avi www.powerpivotpro.com

Saturday, October 18, 2014 8:12 PM
  • No, I'm just loading one table to the model. But another table is being loaded to a worksheet by an upstream query.

Monday, October 20, 2014 8:39 AM
  • This message is misleading, unfortunately. You're seeing it because it's the last task on a refresh to produce a message, but what's actually being done is a refresh of the preview information used by the editor. This is a persistent complaint, so we're trying to figure out how to reduce the time this part of the refresh takes.
    • Marked as answer by R Noone Monday, October 20, 2014 7:23 PM
    Monday, October 20, 2014 2:23 PM