none
This mailbox database is associated with one or more active PublicFolderMove requests

Question

• I'm trying to clean up an Exchange 2013 installation (CU2) which is the result of a migrated Exchange 2007 done last summer.

This installation contained several databases which we are trying to slim down to just one, but I've run into some trouble deleting one of these databases. I've made sure that there's nothing left in the database but the Monitoring mailboxes, but when I try to delete the database I get the following error:

This mailbox database is associated with one or more active PublicFolderMove requests. To get a list of all PublicFolderMove requests associated with this database, run Get-PublicFolderMoveRequest | ?{ $_.RequestQueue -eq "Public Folder Database" }. To remove a PublicFolderMove request, run Remove-PublicFolderMoveRequest <Recipient ID\Request Name>.

If I look into that one further I can see the following:

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-PublicFolderMoveRequest | fl
    RunspaceId     : d07e91a4-aadb-4c2a-8e01-68127464e8e0
    SourceMailbox  : contoso.local/Users/Contoso
    TargetMailbox  :
    Name           : PublicFolderMove
    RequestGuid    : 65c5d048-0e56-4c01-88ce-8594699826ee
    RequestQueue   : Public Folder Database
    Flags          : IntraOrg, Pull
    BatchName      :
    Status         : InProgress
    Protect        : False
    Suspend        : False
    Direction      : Pull
    RequestStyle   : IntraOrg
    OrganizationId :
    WhenChanged    : 2013-06-25 16:03:10
    WhenCreated    : 2013-06-25 16:03:07
    WhenChangedUTC : 2013-06-25 14:03:10
    WhenCreatedUTC : 2013-06-25 14:03:07
    Identity       : \PublicFolderMove
    IsValid        : True
    ObjectState    : New

So, I've found out that I can run "Remove-PublicFolderMoveRequest <Recipient ID\Request Name>" to remove that request, but I find it a little disturbing that we've had that job for 9 months in the background, and I'm unsure of what will happen if I actually delete that job.

The Target Mailbox is also empty. Shouldn't it contain something?

We want to keep the Public Folder Database in the current database and it should not have anything to do with the database I'm trying to delete (it does not reside there right now).

Any thoughts on how to proceed, and what the reason for this might be? Could it be something that was done while migrating from E2k7 to E2k13 and never was cleaned up correctly?

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated!

Monday, March 24, 2014 7:15 PM

All replies

• Hello,

According to the result from Get-PublicFolderMoveRequest | fl cmdlet, the public folder moving is not completed. If there are public folder mailbox on the database you want to delete, please move public folder mailbox to new database.

Cara Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 5:53 AM
  • Hi Cara and thanks for your reply!

In this environment we've got two databases, Mailbox Database and Public Folder Database. Mailbox Database contains all the data (user and pf mailboxes) and should contain all data too, whilst Public Folder Database is to be deleted as it doesn't contain anything at all.

Could you specify what you mean with "f there are public folder mailbox on the database you want to delete, please move public folder mailbox to new database, and then move public folder again."?

I don't want to move anything anywhere, so that moverequest which seems to have been stuck for a good while should just be deleted. I'm just worried that removing it now might cause some trouble on the public folder mailbox on Mailbox Database which actually is where it should be.

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 1:38 PM
  • Hello,

In exchange 2013, there is no public folder database, all public folder mailboxes are stored on mailbox database. If your public folder database doesn't contain anything, you can delete it.

Cara Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 8:35 AM
  • Yeah, thanks! But, the problem is that I can't delete it because of the error message in the first post ;) Namely: 
    This mailbox database is associated with one or more active PublicFolderMove requests. To get a list of all PublicFolderMove requests associated with this database, run Get-PublicFolderMoveRequest | ?{ $_.RequestQueue -eq "Public Folder Database" }. To remove a PublicFolderMove request, run Remove-PublicFolderMoveRequest <Recipient ID\Request Name>.
    Wednesday, March 26, 2014 8:38 AM
  • Cara is saying you can delete the move REQUEST, not the database. The deletion of your move request will not have any impact on the actual PF content or configuration, though its curious how your request claims to be InProgress and yet you've removed the source environment.

Anyway, I realize this post is years old, but I encountered it while trying to delete a database for a customer who has finished moving to Exchange Online. All the move requests have been cleared, yet this error persists.

Mike Crowley | MVP
    My Blog -- Baseline Technologies

Monday, May 14, 2018 6:33 PM
  • https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/exchange/move-and-migration/get-publicfoldermoverequeststatistics?view=exchange-ps has info on the statistics cmdlet for move requests. Run that against your existing request to get a little more information about what's going on. Specifically, it should tell you whether that request is failed, how far it is, and a few other important pieces of info that will help you out.

That said, removing the move request shouldn't have a major impact on things and it may just be an artifact.

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 3:22 PM
  • https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/exchange/move-and-migration/get-publicfoldermoverequeststatistics?view=exchange-ps has info on the statistics cmdlet for move requests. Run that against your existing request to get a little more information about what's going on. Specifically, it should tell you whether that request is failed, how far it is, and a few other important pieces of info that will help you out.

That said, removing the move request shouldn't have a major impact on things and it may just be an artifact.

What? Who are you responding to? You cannot run Get-PublicFolderMoveRequestStatistics without the identity parameter. Also your last sentence is incorrect. You cannot remove an Exchange database if there are associated public folder move requests. Please don't just throw random advice out if you don't have any experience on a subject.

Mike Crowley | MVP

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 5:00 PM
  • UPDATE for my case.

Despite

• Get-PublicFolderMoveRequest
      Get-PublicFolderMailboxMigrationRequest
      Get-PublicFolderMigrationRequest

returning no results, I did find the  msExchMailboxMoveStorageMDBBL and msExchMailboxMoveTargetMDBBL attributes of the database pointing to an object in the container:

CN=Mailbox Replication,CN=contoso,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=contoso,DC=com

I backed this object up with ldifde and then deleted it with ADSIEDIT. After doing so, I was able to remove the mailbox database normally.

Mike Crowley | MVP

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 8:37 PM