none
Newbie Understanding Group Policy Priorities - quick question

Question

• Hi folks,

New to the forum but will be using plenty, been reading about Group Policy on the technet page and it mentions this which confuses me, as i'd read it as priority 1 is most important. It's suggesting that it'll apply Default Domain policy first....but that's number 2 in the list and Windows Firewall Settings is 1 in the list. I've included the text below from the article, is anyone able to clarify? Unfortunately i can't include the image as i'm not verified yet and waiting for the email.

In Figure 2, you see two GPOs linked to the domain corp.contoso.com: Windows Firewall Settings and Default Domain Policy. Group Policy applies GPOs with a lower link order after applying GPOs with a higher link order. In this case, it will apply Windows Firewall Settings after Default Domain Policy. Just remember that a link order of 1 is first priority, and a link order of 2 is second priority

Sunday, April 02, 2017 1:30 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    If I understand correctly, you are talking about Group Policy order of precedence.
    GPOs are processed in the following order:
       The local GPO is applied.
       GPOs linked to sites are applied.
       GPOs linked to domains are applied.
       GPOs linked to organizational units are applied. For nested organizational units, GPOs linked to parent organizational units are applied before GPOs linked to child organizational units are applied.

If you have more than one GPO linked to an OU then the processing order of these GPOs is determined by what is known as the link order. The GPO with the lowest link order will be processed last – in other words the GPO with a link order of 1 has the highest precedence, followed by link order 2, etc.
    Best regards, 
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, April 03, 2017 6:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    If I understand correctly, you are talking about Group Policy order of precedence.
    GPOs are processed in the following order:
       The local GPO is applied.
       GPOs linked to sites are applied.
       GPOs linked to domains are applied.
       GPOs linked to organizational units are applied. For nested organizational units, GPOs linked to parent organizational units are applied before GPOs linked to child organizational units are applied.

If you have more than one GPO linked to an OU then the processing order of these GPOs is determined by what is known as the link order. The GPO with the lowest link order will be processed last – in other words the GPO with a link order of 1 has the highest precedence, followed by link order 2, etc.
    Best regards, 
    Wendy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, April 03, 2017 6:44 AM
  • Hi Wendy,

Many thanks for explaining this, the article didn't seem to put it in that context but your suggestion makes alot more sense to me.....

Thank you

Monday, April 03, 2017 9:06 PM
  • Hi,
    I am glad that my reply could offer you some help, could you please help to mark them as answers? It will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.
    Appreciate for your feedback.
    Best regards, 
    Wendy

Thursday, April 06, 2017 2:04 AM