Home LAB Setup Advice RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

I would like to know and get advices from you guys how to setup home lab?

The configuration i have

1 server with below mentioned config

Intel Xeon 2.3Ghz dual Processors in Intel s5000PSL Motherboard

12GB RAM

500GB SATA HDD

Rackable Server with Virtualization Bios enabled

I have installed Windows 2012 R2 Datacenter Evaluation for 180 days and i have setup Domain Controller and HYPERVServer in that Machine

I have created 3 Virtual Machines in that Server

1. Domain Controller Windows 2012 R2 Datacenter Eval

2. Additional DC same windows 2012 R2 Datacenter Eval

3. Win 7 64bit Client VM for me to test

Please advice me i need to configure more servers in this HyperV Server and to learn

Please advice what servers i can configure to setup home lab to learn and practice.

I need to install exchange 2013 also in my mind.I have aDSL at my home with domain name.

Your Valuble inputs are appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Tony

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 9:13 AM

Answers

• "Please advice me i need to configure more servers in this HyperV Server and to learn "

That is very dependent upon what it is that you are trying to learn. System administration?  Networking?  Group policies?  Automation?  Applications (which)?  PowerShell?  etc. Without that information, it is really difficult to suggest what sort of VMs you need.  You mention Exchange, so that would be another VM.

. : | : . : | : . tim

• Proposed as answer by Elton_Ji Thursday, May 7, 2015 3:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by Elton_Ji Monday, May 11, 2015 7:26 AM
    Wednesday, April 15, 2015 6:11 PM
  • Hi Sir,

>>Please advice me i need to configure more servers in this HyperV Server and to learn

>>Please advice what servers i can configure to setup home lab to learn and practice.

I agree with Tim .

Actually you can install any OS in the guest OS list to build what  the lab you want  :

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn792027.aspx

Best Regards,

Elton Ji

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com .

• Proposed as answer by Elton_Ji Thursday, May 7, 2015 3:07 AM
    Friday, April 17, 2015 3:05 PM

All replies

• "Please advice me i need to configure more servers in this HyperV Server and to learn "

That is very dependent upon what it is that you are trying to learn. System administration?  Networking?  Group policies?  Automation?  Applications (which)?  PowerShell?  etc. Without that information, it is really difficult to suggest what sort of VMs you need.  You mention Exchange, so that would be another VM.

. : | : . : | : . tim

• Proposed as answer by Elton_Ji Thursday, May 7, 2015 3:06 AM
    Wednesday, April 15, 2015 6:11 PM
  • Hi Sir,

>>Please advice me i need to configure more servers in this HyperV Server and to learn

>>Please advice what servers i can configure to setup home lab to learn and practice.

I agree with Tim .

Actually you can install any OS in the guest OS list to build what  the lab you want  :

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn792027.aspx

Best Regards,

Elton Ji

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com .

• Proposed as answer by Elton_Ji Thursday, May 7, 2015 3:07 AM
    Friday, April 17, 2015 3:05 PM