MAP Toolkit - Exclude Specific Machines RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to use the MAP Toolkit to inventory our environment and it's working pretty well.  I'm using Active Directory as well as Network Discovery to find the systems and that's working well however, it is picking up some results for non-workstation systems such as printers and network equipment.  Is there any way that I can easily exclude these systems from showing up in the inventory?  So far I haven't seen a straight forward way to do this.

Would the best work around solution be to simply take the existing results, pull out all the machine names and put them into a file to be used through the import list method and then simply leave out the non-workstation systems?  This is the only way I can think to get around this issue currently.  The problem is that it would then fail to capture any new systems that would be coming into the environment without manually adding them to the list.  So it would be less dynamic.  It would be nice if there was a way to right click and exclude specific systems from future inventory attempts.  I think that functionality could be quite useful.  Perhaps it will make it into the next version...   :)

Otherwise if anyone has any other suggestions or solutions on how to accomplish this it would be greatly appreciated.
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 5:03 PM

Answers

• Putting the inventory targets into a flat file and importing them is currently the best way to do this if you can't achieve the filtering you want via IP address ranges or OU selection in AD.

• Marked as answer by ArcaneFlame Tuesday, June 29, 2010 5:51 PM
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 5:44 PM

All replies

• Putting the inventory targets into a flat file and importing them is currently the best way to do this if you can't achieve the filtering you want via IP address ranges or OU selection in AD.

• Marked as answer by ArcaneFlame Tuesday, June 29, 2010 5:51 PM
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 5:44 PM
  • Ok, that's what I thought.  Thanks for the feedback and confirmation!
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 5:51 PM