none
Custom Calendars defaulting to a template? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I have 6 or so custom calendars that I have added to the Global template. When I click on New to start a new blank project these calendars do not appear in the blank project. Can I update the "New Blank Project" and where is it located?

Thanks

Steve

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 9:06 AM

All replies

• When referring to Global template, that implies that you are working with Project server or Project Online.   If this is the case the calendars are located and managed on the server.    Only the PWA administrator can add and modify these calendars.    Contact the PWA administrator and have the calendars added on the server and then open PWA from project, create the new template and reference the calendars found within PWA.

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 10:29 AM
  • HI, I am working on Project Standard and refering to global.mpt so it is not Project Server related,

Steve

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 12:10 PM
  • Steve --

What version of Microsoft Project are you using?  Is the software updated with the latest updates?  How are you trying to access these calendars?  Please give us a bit more information and we will try to help you.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 1:38 PM
  • Hi Project 2010, all patched up.    Using Organiser I can see the custom calendars are in place.  I then create a New blank project and I am expecting those calendars to be visible against that new project.  When I check via Organiser they are not applied to the new project.  Strangely, custom fields which have been saved previously into Global mpt. and they are applied to the new project when it is created.

rgds

Steve

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 2:00 PM
  • Stev --

This is the kind of brain teaser question that I really enjoy about Microsoft Project.

I created a new custom calendar in a project in Microsoft Project 2010, copied the custom calendar to the Global.mpt file using the Organizer tool, closed the project without saving it, and exited Microsoft Project 2010 completely.  Then I restarted Microsoft Project, created a new blank project, and used the Organizer tool to confirm that the new calendar IS NOT in the project as you were expecting.  But wait...there's more.

Next, I clicked Project > Project Information in the new blank project.  In the Project Information dialog, I clicked the Calendar pick list, selected the new custom calendar as the Project Calendar for this project, then clicked the OK button.  Returning to the Organizer tool, I now see the custom calendar has been copied into the project.

So, here is what you need to know.  When you create a custom calendar and save it in the Global.mpt file, the calendar will not be copied automatically into a new project.  However, the moment you apply that custom calendar in the project, then Microsoft Project will copy that calendar into the project.  There are four ways that you can use the custom calendar in the project that will cause it to be copied into the project.  They are:

• Set the custom calendar as the Project Calendar.  Click Project > Project Information and select the custom calendar in the Calendar pick list.
    • Set the custom calendar as the Non-working Time Calendar.  Double-click the timescale bar, click the Non-working Time tab, and select the custom calendar on the Calendar pick list.
    • Set the custom calendar as a Task Calendar on an individual task.  Double-click a task, click the Advanced tab, and select the custom calendar in the Calendar pick list.
    • Apply the custom calendar as the Base Calendar for a resource by selecting that calendar for the resource in the Base Calendar column of the Resource Sheet view.

This is the default behavior of the tool in Microsoft Project 2010 and cannot be changed.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Proposed as answer by John - Project Wednesday, October 25, 2017 11:04 PM
    Wednesday, October 25, 2017 3:54 PM