New to App-V - A couple of questions RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking to deploy APP-V and I would like some broad advice on pit falls and things you would reconsider if you did it again etc. Also broad step in fresh set up, what should my sequence for set up be.

I am running Server 2008r2 and SCCM 2007SP2 with Win7 64bit Clients.

Running a virtual XP app on a windows 7 client? Am I in the right ball park here, will APP-V do that?

Thanks in advance, you may hear from me a number of times over the next few weeks as I get this working.

• Moved by Aaron.ParkerModerator Tuesday, January 8, 2013 9:51 AM Please do not post questions in the Sequencing Recipe forum (From:App-V Sequencing Recipe Forum)
    Tuesday, January 8, 2013 4:19 AM

Answers

• App-V is not an application-to-OS compatibility solution, so it does not do the same thing as a vitrualized Windows XP instance.

See here for an App-V 4.x FAQ series: http://blog.stealthpuppy.com/appv-faqs/ 

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 9:49 AM
  • A rant:

Application Sequencing. This can be easily automated now, so it requires minimal effort and little skill. Even when sequencing manually (which is a good idea to learn how it works) once you've done it 4 or 5 times, you'll have the actual procedure down. If your packaging teams has ever performed install captures before, maybe for MSI packaging. This should be a walk in the park for them.

Troubleshooting issues is the biggest challenge. There's lot of resources online to aide with this and I believe anybody who works in an application\desktop role can do this. But people in my experience, are very intimidated when it comes to try and troubleshoot issues. As though it is very different when in actual fact it is not all that different at all. This forum is an excellent resource for help. Also HERE

Choosing how to set it up all depends on what you'd like to get out of it. Does streaming make sense for your environment? Would you like to always cache the application locally, deploy via the MSI? Each one has caveats

In terms of sequencing setup. I have my sequencer setup on a Win7 x64 VM. I also have an XP VM with sequencer for those exceptional applications which I need to capture something specific to XP that I would like to try and capture in the sequence (very rare, as Aaron said App-V is not really an app compat fix)

Whenever you are going to sequence an application check:

HERE

HERE

AND HERE

first, there's also some accelerators on this site which can save a lot of time and effort.

If you can identify the applications you want to sequence up front, rather than just trying everything, you will save yourself a lot of time. If you know all of your applications which have drivers for example. Or if you choose to not sequence office and don't want to then sequence Office add-ins, identify those and plan to not sequence. Rather than finding out after you spin up your VM and try to sequence.

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 8:22 PM

All replies

• App-V is not an application-to-OS compatibility solution, so it does not do the same thing as a vitrualized Windows XP instance.

See here for an App-V 4.x FAQ series: http://blog.stealthpuppy.com/appv-faqs/ 

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 9:49 AM
  • A rant:

Application Sequencing. This can be easily automated now, so it requires minimal effort and little skill. Even when sequencing manually (which is a good idea to learn how it works) once you've done it 4 or 5 times, you'll have the actual procedure down. If your packaging teams has ever performed install captures before, maybe for MSI packaging. This should be a walk in the park for them.

Troubleshooting issues is the biggest challenge. There's lot of resources online to aide with this and I believe anybody who works in an application\desktop role can do this. But people in my experience, are very intimidated when it comes to try and troubleshoot issues. As though it is very different when in actual fact it is not all that different at all. This forum is an excellent resource for help. Also HERE

Choosing how to set it up all depends on what you'd like to get out of it. Does streaming make sense for your environment? Would you like to always cache the application locally, deploy via the MSI? Each one has caveats

In terms of sequencing setup. I have my sequencer setup on a Win7 x64 VM. I also have an XP VM with sequencer for those exceptional applications which I need to capture something specific to XP that I would like to try and capture in the sequence (very rare, as Aaron said App-V is not really an app compat fix)

Whenever you are going to sequence an application check:

HERE

HERE

AND HERE

first, there's also some accelerators on this site which can save a lot of time and effort.

If you can identify the applications you want to sequence up front, rather than just trying everything, you will save yourself a lot of time. If you know all of your applications which have drivers for example. Or if you choose to not sequence office and don't want to then sequence Office add-ins, identify those and plan to not sequence. Rather than finding out after you spin up your VM and try to sequence.

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 8:22 PM