none
Folder Redirection Removal: Recycle Bin Errors

Question

• We have a very old 2003 Server that we are trying to remove from service.  We have all the roles migrated to another server, but during the process we decided that we are no longer going to use Folder Redirection for all of the Users' "My Documents".  We are just going to create a Home Folder that points to the same directory for each user.

In doing so, we migrated all the data from Server01 to Server02 and changed the settings for each user in AD.  Now that we are ready to shut down the old server, Server01, we remove the permissions from the root to make sure that everything is working before shutting down.  I have been told by about 20-30 users so far that they are getting the following error messages.

"The Recycle Bin on \\Server01\Users\"User"\My Documents|My Videos is corrupted.  Do you want to empty the Recycle Bin for this drive?"

"The Recycle Bin on \\Server01\Users\"User"\My Documents|My Music is corrupted.  Do you want to empty the Recycle Bin for this drive?"

I'm assuming that it is something associated with permissions to the old location, since we removed them.  I'm just looking for a resolution so that can remove the server without this error coming up in the future.

I have tried the command line of "rd /s c:\$Recycle.bin" as well as the appropriate folder of \\Server01.  This does not clear the issue.  I have checked GPO and Folder Redirection is not configured, and I have ran a GPUPDATE /FORCE on all few of these with no change.  

All Machines are Win 7 on a Server 2008/2012 domain.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 5:33 PM

Answers

• When you removed the folder redirection, did you set the removal behaviour to 'restore contents'?

Check the following location in the registry for a problem user and see what the paths are:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

If the profile folders are not redirected then you should see %USERPROFILE% otherwise a UNC path.

• Edited by zxxzxx Tuesday, February 16, 2016 10:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by Towndrunk Thursday, February 18, 2016 6:34 PM
    Tuesday, February 16, 2016 10:08 PM
  • I went in and checked a few of the reported cases, and all of them had a UNC path to their "Personal" or  "Documents" location.  After changing it to %USERPROFILE%\Documents and restarting, the error went away.  Now I just need to find out who is having the issue, and import the branch into their PC since they all seem generic.  Thanks.
    • Marked as answer by Towndrunk Thursday, February 18, 2016 6:32 PM
    Thursday, February 18, 2016 6:32 PM

All replies

• When you removed the folder redirection, did you set the removal behaviour to 'restore contents'?

Check the following location in the registry for a problem user and see what the paths are:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

If the profile folders are not redirected then you should see %USERPROFILE% otherwise a UNC path.

• Edited by zxxzxx Tuesday, February 16, 2016 10:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by Towndrunk Thursday, February 18, 2016 6:34 PM
    Tuesday, February 16, 2016 10:08 PM
  • Hi Towndrunk,

Did you migrate the data with ADMT?

This is by design. For security reasons, each user who logs on to a computer receives his or her own, user-specific Recycle Bin. The access control list (ACL) for each instance of the Recycle Bin can contain only one user-specific SID. When you migrate a user's profile using the Add option, the SID of the source domain user is added to the SID history of the Recycle Bin. This places two user-specific SIDs in the Recycle Bin's ACL. This problem does not occur if you migrate the profiles by using the Replace option.

To fix the problem, on the error message, click Yes, and the Recycle Bin is emptied without a problem. If you click No, the error continues to appear until you empty the Recycle Bin.

For more information, you could refer to the article below.

Troubleshooting Security Translation Issues

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc974399(WS.10).aspx

Windows Server 2003 extended support have been ended, so I suggest you upgrade your OS.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 7:28 AM
  • I went in and checked a few of the reported cases, and all of them had a UNC path to their "Personal" or  "Documents" location.  After changing it to %USERPROFILE%\Documents and restarting, the error went away.  Now I just need to find out who is having the issue, and import the branch into their PC since they all seem generic.  Thanks.
    • Marked as answer by Towndrunk Thursday, February 18, 2016 6:32 PM
    Thursday, February 18, 2016 6:32 PM
  • We didn't use ADMT since we didn't really Migrate anything besides the data they were pointing to.  We removed the folder redirection is all we really did in AD besides giving them a "Home Drive" to the new data location.
    Thursday, February 18, 2016 6:33 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your share.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 19, 2016 1:33 AM