none
Backup 2012 R2 clustered File Server for General Use configured with Continuous Availability RRS feed

• Question

• I have read plenty on the new "File Server for general use" and "Continuous Availability" features present in Windows Server 2012 R2. I even built up a working lab. But I'm finding next to nothing in the way of documentation as to how to backup this data using DPM.

Since the data is stored on a clustered drive that is attached to one node or the other at any given time, it seems that your typical DPM client install isn't going to cut it. I would guess that in a 2 server cluster, one DPM client will always fail since it won't always be assigned the clustered disk. So how do we backup this data properly?

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 9:44 PM

Answers

• Hi,

OK - Sorry - my bad.

DPM can protect the volumes or the file shares on the cluster since only one node will own the resource at any given time.  So install the DPM agent on all nodes in the cluster, and in the protection group wizard, expand out the cluster and protect the volumes / shares.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 10:47 PM
  • Hi,

Here is a visual of how the cluster resources will be enumerated at time of protection.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, June 26, 2014 2:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Unfortunately - DPM does not yet protect scale out file servers. 

Unsupported Scenarios for DPM
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn554221.aspx

DPM can’t protect SOFS shares

Issue: DPM can’t protect shares on SOFS.

Workaround: Ensure shares you want to protect aren’t located on SOFS.

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 10:09 PM
  • When you configure a new File Server role, there's two types... "File Server for general use", and "Scale-Out File Server for application data". I want to do the File Server for general use, not the Scale-Out File Server.
    Wednesday, June 25, 2014 10:21 PM
  • Hi,

OK - Sorry - my bad.

DPM can protect the volumes or the file shares on the cluster since only one node will own the resource at any given time.  So install the DPM agent on all nodes in the cluster, and in the protection group wizard, expand out the cluster and protect the volumes / shares.

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 10:47 PM
  • Since only one server will have the clustered volume attached and online at a time, will that create problems for the server that doesn't have it attached? Meaning if I tell Server2 to backup the E:\ drive, but there isn't currently an E:\ drive connected (because it's connected to Server1), will the backups on Server2 fail? Or will it ignore it and go on its merry way since there's nothing to backup?
    Wednesday, June 25, 2014 11:30 PM
  • As Mike said, you need to install the DPM agent on both nodes of the Cluster however when you want to add the volume/folder to protection you go via the Cluster. This allows the backup to be coordinated by the cluster and as such can backup the volume/folder whichever node the role is currently on.
    Thursday, June 26, 2014 10:17 AM
  • Hi,

Here is a visual of how the cluster resources will be enumerated at time of protection.

Thursday, June 26, 2014 2:24 PM
  • Fantastic! That works. Thanks for the help guys!
    Tuesday, July 1, 2014 4:45 PM