Vista Ultimate 32-bit vs. 64-bit RRS feed

• Question

• I recently purchased a laptop capable of running a 64-bit operating system. What really enticed me to purchase it was the fact that it also came with Windows Vista Ultimate Edition. However, to my dismay, when I bring up my System Properties, the System type area tells me that I'm running a 32-bit OS.

Now, I know that Windows Vista Ultimate comes in a 32- and 64-bit version, and as far as I know, they come on the same installation disc. Is it possible that the manufacturer installed only the 32-bit version of Vista Ultimate on my laptop? Is there a way to switch to the 64-bit version that I am just missing?

What cool and fun features am I missing out on by running the 32-bit version instead of 64-bit? Please help!

Atong

Thursday, January 24, 2008 5:56 AM

Answers

• When you purchase a new computer with Windows Vista preinstalled, it is either a 32-bit version (most common) or a 64-bit version.  If you desire a 64-bit version, then you'll have to contact your PC manufacturer and order the 64-bit Vista disc.

Unless you have 64-bit programs, a 64-bit version of Vista will not offer much to you overall.

Thursday, January 24, 2008 10:38 PM

All replies

• When you purchase a new computer with Windows Vista preinstalled, it is either a 32-bit version (most common) or a 64-bit version.  If you desire a 64-bit version, then you'll have to contact your PC manufacturer and order the 64-bit Vista disc.

Unless you have 64-bit programs, a 64-bit version of Vista will not offer much to you overall.

Thursday, January 24, 2008 10:38 PM
  • You'll also miss out on more then 2 gigs of ram. I believe the only way to enjoy more then 2 gigs of ram is with a 64 bit OS and Processor.
    Friday, February 15, 2008 3:54 PM
  • 32 bit can handle a maximum of 4gb of ram. You can in facy install more but it won't be recognized.
    Monday, February 18, 2008 8:26 AM
  •  

Can I upgrade from my current Vista 32 Premium to 64 without having to reinstall all of my programs?  Past upgrades kept files and settings, but I usually needed to reinstall the programs such as Office, AutoCad, Visio, Acrobat, etc.

It placed everything in an old folder, and I couldn't get it restored properly with the assistance from microsoft, but we spoke different languages (they did not speak english, could type it).

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 12:35 AM
  •  Carey Frisch wrote:

When you purchase a new computer with Windows Vista preinstalled, it is either a 32-bit version (most common) or a 64-bit version.  If you desire a 64-bit version, then you'll have to contact your PC manufacturer and order the 64-bit Vista disc.

How about if the computer possesses a EM64T capable processor (e.g., it is capable of running a 64bit OS and apps); could one then run both Vista 32 and Vista 64 on the same machine with independent disks/partitions and set up in a dual-boot configuration?

I'm trying to set this up, but don't want to lose my 32bit apps or OS (which is, in this case, XP Pro SP2 32).

I know the Intel D630 Dual processor is a bit outmoded, but if I set it to run under EM64T will that negate 32 bit operability for the other OS?

The MB is an Asus P5WD2 Premium w/ 4GB DDR2-667 RAM.

I hope to dual-boot into Vista Ultimate 64 on the same machine.

Any ideas?

thanks,

labernache

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 11:55 PM
  • I would like to know if there is any other way to go from 32bit to 64 bit. I have a custom build and the only version I had to use was 32 bit disk. Can I get the 64bit from MS somehow without it costing me another arm and leg?
    Wednesday, June 4, 2008 10:58 PM
  • Ordering Windows Vista 64-bit software media:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/1033/ordermedia/default.mspx

Thursday, June 5, 2008 3:50 PM
  • Thanks I tried that and got the "SKU can't be found" message and I now know why. Vista retail comes with both versions and the promo is only 32 bit so the SKU and or product key will not work to order with any Ultimate version.
    I came up with an option I'll run by you. I uninstall my 32 bit retail copy that I installed on my Dell laptop. As per the license I then transfer the license to my newly built fresh ( never had OS installed) machine with the 64 bit disk from the retail copy. I then use the promo to load the new 32 bit promo with it's product key on to the Dell laptop. Should work right?
    Thursday, June 5, 2008 4:50 PM
  • Yes, that will work.

Thursday, June 5, 2008 6:06 PM