How do I give users rights on their local machines? RRS feed

• Question

• We are evaluating Windows Server 2008R2.  I’ve got everything installed and working on the network.  The domain is working great.  One problem I’m having is on our XP Pro systems users are not able to install programs on Win 7 systems I’m able to use administrator rights to install programs but the same dialog box does not pop-up in XP Pro systems.  How do I give users rights on their local machines?

Monday, May 10, 2010 3:40 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

There are two mechanisms that impact a user's ability to install software. First, the user's rights to the system indicate what actions they are allowed to perform. If users are not local administrators, they are likely to be missing rights to perform actions required for a lot of software installation (This is true for XP as well as 7). This permission level is controlled using local groups or centrally via the GPO Restricted Groups mechanism.

The second mechanism is user access control, or UAC, which is built into Windows 7. Even if users have the correct permissions, the OS will require additional confirmation before tasks that modify the system's configuration are allowed to proceed. The default configuration for UAC should provide standard users with a credentials prompts to elevate their permissions when trying to perform a UAC protected action. Any administrator credential should work in this prompt.

UAC can be controlled using GPOs in the following location: Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options. You can also disable UAC temporarily for testing on an individual machine by typing UAC into the search box and clicking on the linked to change the setting.

If you need more assistance, please provide additional information:

1. What are you trying to install?

2. Are users installing the SW manually?

3. What message are the users getting?

4. Are the users local administrators?

Thanks,

Guy

Monday, May 10, 2010 5:48 PM
  • Thanks for your reply Guy.

1.  We are trying to install specific user software such as Autocad, 20/20, etc... on individual computers.

2.  Yes we are installing manually (only 2 PC's have XP Pro)  the rest have Win 7 and gives me the option to put in my administrator credentials.

3.  The message is something to the effect of not having appropriate rights

4.  Users are NOT local administrators. 

How do I grant a user local administrator rights?

Monday, May 10, 2010 8:27 PM
  • Hi,

If you want users to be local administrators, you have to add the user account to the local administrators group. This can be done manually on Windows 7 by typing users in the Start, search box and selecting the link Edit local users and groups that comes up above. You must be logged in as a current administrator to do this.

The same action can be performed centrally for multiple domain member computers using the Restricted Groups feature of GPOs. This method allows you to add an AD group to the local administrators group of multiple computers. 

Thanks,

Guy

Monday, May 10, 2010 8:43 PM
  • How do I grant a user on our domain local administrator rights on a Windows XP Pro system?
    Monday, May 10, 2010 8:49 PM
  • Hi,

If you mean manually, open the administrative tool Computer Management, expand the nodes to show Local Users and Groups, select Groups and open the Administrators group. You can add a domain user there.

Thanks,

Guy

Monday, May 10, 2010 9:11 PM
  • Here is an article showing how to grant (and remove) administrator access... This will also work on Windows XP if you have the Client Side Extentions installed...

How to use Group Policy Preferences to Secure Local Administrator Groups

Hope it helps...

Alan Burchill (MVP)
    http://www.grouppolicy.biz
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 2:44 AM