Moving exchange 2010 to another site RRS feed

• Question

• I have a DAG consisted of 3 servers, 2 at one site and 1 at a remote site. I have 10+ databases with about 200GB each. I need move one site to a different location cross states. It will take 7-10 days to move all gears to a Colo. I really hate to reseed the DBs because it takes several days to seed even one DB. Is there a good way to stop replication and resume it later on without reseed? I currently have circular logging enabled. I can use suspend-mailboxdatabsecopy to pause replication. If I resume database copy later, would it work?  Do I need turn off Circular logging? Thanks.
    Friday, August 11, 2017 5:09 PM

All replies

• I have a DAG consisted of 3 servers, 2 at one site and 1 at a remote site. I have 10+ databases with about 200GB each. I need move one site to a different location cross states. It will take 7-10 days to move all gears to a Colo. I really hate to reseed the DBs because it takes several days to seed even one DB. Is there a good way to stop replication and resume it later on without reseed? I currently have circular logging enabled. I can use suspend-mailboxdatabsecopy to pause replication. If I resume database copy later, would it work?  Do I need turn off Circular logging? Thanks.

The logs wont be truncated on the source server if the passive servers aren't available.

I wouldn't want to replay 10 days worth of logs.

Friday, August 11, 2017 5:15 PM
  • Yeah, but playing 10 days' worth of logs might be a lot better than reseeding the database.

You might consider removing the database copy and then manually reseeding the database using physical media after the server is back up.  That's fairly labor-intensive, though, but is potentially better than trying to reseed a large database over a WAN connection.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Friday, August 11, 2017 10:01 PM
  • Yeah, but playing 10 days' worth of logs might be a lot better than reseeding the database.

You might consider removing the database copy and then manually reseeding the database using physical media after the server is back up.  That's fairly labor-intensive, though, but is potentially better than trying to reseed a large database over a WAN connection.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Maybe. but 200GB is not large! :P 
    Saturday, August 12, 2017 12:36 PM
  • "Large" depends on the network.  I've had customers with such flaky networks that they couldn't seed a 200GB database.

Monday, August 14, 2017 2:02 AM
  • "Large" depends on the network.  I've had customers with such flaky networks that they couldn't seed a 200GB database.

Well, you know I'm not disagreeing with you, but if they cant handle reseeding it, not sure they can handle shipping 10 days of logs across the wire either.  (and I wonder how many orgs have architected storage on the trans log drive to handle 10 days of logs) Just thinking out loud...

Monday, August 14, 2017 11:11 AM
  • I agree, I'd suggest fixing or improving the network first, but the logs ship really well compared to seeding a database.  My experience is that databases copies will hum along just fine replicating logs over networks that you can't complete a reseed on.

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 8:23 PM