none
I've got alot of gpos..

Question

• Greetings and salutations.

I, have a problem.

I've been tasked with going through and cleaning out/ validating/ gathering info on settings/ nixing any duplicated policies when it comes to the gpos riding on our network. So, after very rapidly shoving the basics of powershell down, I decided to run the get-gporeport -all command via the gpo module. After about 10 minutes of buffering, I ended up with a neat xml file that I sent over to excel for organizational reasons. It imported the file, and I told it to make it into an xml table

It took excel awhile to process, but when it was done I had like.. 9 billion or so different cells. Would any of you know how I could filter out the unnecessary information so the file could be digestible by the likes of an IT noob? or a better way entirely to do this?

any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Tuesday, December 09, 2014 8:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

You can run the command gpresult/h report.html to collect group policy result report. If you need to check computer policy settings, you need to run the command with admin privileges. Besides, you can also run command gpresult/r, gpresult/v,  or gpresult/z command to check group policy result.

Moreover, you can use group policy results wizard in GPMC on domain controller to collect group policy result:

1. On domain controller, click Start -> Run, type GPMC.MSC, it will load the GPMC console.

2. Right click on "Group Policy Result" and choose wizard to generate a report for the problematic computer and user account (please place appropriately). (Choose computer and select the proper user in the wizard)

3. Right click the resulting group policy result and click the "Save Report…" => save report to save the report to a HTML file.

Best regards,

Frank Shen

• Edited by Frank Shen5Moderator Wednesday, December 10, 2014 9:00 AM
    • Proposed as answer by yannara Wednesday, December 10, 2014 9:26 AM
    Wednesday, December 10, 2014 8:59 AM
  • The settings we have makes using gpresult an impossibility (ports and the ilk.). Though, I think I've got that far already.. probably. I have a collection of all the gpo reports sitting in a folder currently which covers down on all the various settings I need to see individually. The reason why I created a mass report is the mind-numbingly large amount of gpos that exist and the man hours ahead of me going through the nitty gritty of them. I assumed that by putting them / all settings in a table, I'd be able to speed the process up. But, the biggest issue is I haven't the foggiest about the different headers that were arbitrarily loaded up into excel from the file, and which of those will remain pertinent. I underdid the total estimate up top and in reality there's about 250 billion different cells, about 390000 columns and about 620000 rows, forcing me to reevaluate. It looks like regardless of which avenue I take, I have a long haul ahead of me.. but if anything else comes to mind, please help me out by suggesting it. ^_^

• Edited by planteyes Wednesday, December 10, 2014 2:21 PM
    Wednesday, December 10, 2014 2:01 PM
  • > reevaluate. It looks like regardless of which avenue I take, I have a
    > long haul ahead of me.. but if anything else comes to mind, please help
    > me out by suggesting it. ^_^

If you're familiar with powershell, you might have a look at

With some adoption, this might suit your needs.

Martin

Mal ein GUTES Buch über GPOs lesen?

NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment :))
    Wednesday, December 10, 2014 3:06 PM
  • Hi,

In addition, for PowerShell, you can also ask for advice in the following forum.

Windows PowerShell

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?forum=winserverpowershell

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Thursday, December 11, 2014 2:11 AM