SQL Aliases and their affect on Servers in Farm View RRS feed

• Question

• Ok so originally we had an environment that had all databases on an instance

SPStage\Sharepoint

we recently decided to move to a clustered environment. 

SQLCLD1-STAGE\Sharepoint

We detached and reattached to the new database farm and setup a sql alias in cliconfg for

SPStage\Sharepoint -> SQLCLD1-STAGE\Sharepoint

Everything has been working fine for a couple months now.  However in the Servers in Farm view it still shows SPStage as having the foundation database services running.  And no where in this view is any mention of the SQLCLD1-STAGE.. This I am thinking is ok as sharepoint is running fine.    However third party tools such as Ideras backup solution I think scan this view and even though the backup services are installed on the new servers in the cluster .. still look to connect directly to the SPStage server (which is no longer in existance) so I am getting some errors.  Obviously this is not an Idera forum so I have a point open with them as well .. but from a sharepoint side of the world.  Would this be what I should expect from the servers view or should I see some mention in their of the new database server?

On our production farm which has always been on a cluster we see two entries

SP_SharepointDB (this would be the SQL Alias)

and

SQLCL-SPOINT (this would be the cluster name where the db services reside)

Both of these entries show

Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Database  Started

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom

Thursday, February 7, 2013 2:09 PM

Answers

• What you're seeing is correct from the point of view of SharePoint.  To SharePoint, the database server name should not change (as this would require a new farm).

I would contact Idera to see what they think about their tool.

SharePoint - Nauplius Applications
    Microsoft SharePoint Server MVP
    MCITP: SharePoint Administrator 2010

-----------------------
    This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, February 7, 2013 5:40 PM

All replies

• What you're seeing is correct from the point of view of SharePoint.  To SharePoint, the database server name should not change (as this would require a new farm).

I would contact Idera to see what they think about their tool.

SharePoint - Nauplius Applications
    Microsoft SharePoint Server MVP
    MCITP: SharePoint Administrator 2010

-----------------------
    This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, February 7, 2013 5:40 PM
  • Great .. thats kind of what I figured!  

Thanks for the quick response you guys are great!

Thursday, February 7, 2013 5:49 PM