Outlook Draft errors RRS feed

• Question

• I have an exch 2016 environment. If a user write a long email or leave a draft for 5 minutes, then outlook pops up a message saying "The operation failed. The messaging interfaces have returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart outlook".

I think it might have something to do with ActiveSync function with phone. Somehow the phone was doing something with the draft. This happens with a lot users with Android phone. Does anyone have similar issue?

Tuesday, May 8, 2018 10:40 PM

All replies

• Hi Alan,

According to my research, you may receive this error when a Google Apps Sync for Microsoft Outlook account and a Microsoft Exchange Server account are configured in the same Outlook profile. Please refer to the link and check whether this is the case for you.

Do you have cached Exchange mode enabled? If yes, please try switching to online mode to test the result.

Besides, in case there is something related with synchronization, you may logging out of your account on Android phone and then check the result.

Any updates, please feel free to tell me.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Wednesday, May 9, 2018 6:02 AM
    Wednesday, May 9, 2018 5:27 AM
  • No, this is not the case. Outlook is run inside Citrix and it's run in online mode, not in cache mode.

There is no Google Apps Sync for Microsoft Outlook installed on the Citrix image also.

Wednesday, May 9, 2018 6:05 PM
  • Hi Alan,

Thank you for your update.

We can try opening Outlook in safe mode to see if the issue continues. Please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook.exe /safe and then press Enter. This helps eliminate whether the problem lies on any third party add-ins.

Besides, it is also suggested to try repairing Office via Control Panel on one problematic client and see if there are any improvements.

Hope this can be helpful. Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance on this.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, May 10, 2018 3:03 AM
  • Outlook safe mode also has same issue.  repairing Office via Control Panel isn't really help because the OS is a citrix image. It can't be changed. Once rebooted, it will revert to its original state. This phenomenon happens to certain people but not others. They all use same Citrix image. 
    Thursday, May 10, 2018 6:06 PM