none
Start screen layout is empty intermittently. Windows Server 2012 R2 - empty start menu

Question

• Steps:

1. On a Windows Server 2012 R2, I configure a start menu how I like it.

2. I export the start menu to C:\test\start.xml on the server (powershell: export-startlayout -path C:\test\start.xml -as xml)

3. Run gpedit.msc -> user config -> Admin templates -> Start menu and taskbar -> enable "Start Screen Layout" policy and set it to C:\test\start.xml

4. Log in to server with another user, and the start menu configured in Step 1 should appear. 

Problem: Some times it does, some times it doesn't, and I can't figure out why. GPRESULT shows it applies every time, even when the start menu is empty.
    When the start menu doesn't apply, it is simply blank. There is nothing there. The user have to go to the arrow in the bottom left corner to see the folders and shortcuts.

Any ideas?

Kthxbai

• Edited by Stoltenberg Wednesday, August 24, 2016 1:27 PM
    Wednesday, August 24, 2016 1:24 PM

Answers

• Thanks, Jay Gu.

There are no specific time periods. I have not been able to see any sort of pattern.
    The workload is low. Only 1-4 users logged in and CPU/RAM usage is low.

There are many third-party software installed on this server, as it is used for terminal services. It is not really an option to uninstall them.

I have read about copying the AppData\Local\Microsoft\windows\appsFolder.itemdata-ms to the Default user profile as a workaround, so I will just do this for the time being..

Kthxbai

Friday, August 26, 2016 8:53 AM

All replies

• Hi Kthxbai,

Thanks for your post.

What time period when the problem occurs?

What the status of workload of the computer when the problem occurs?

Have you installed other third-party software?

If yes, please try to uninstall them temporary.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 25, 2016 8:24 AM
  • Thanks, Jay Gu.

There are no specific time periods. I have not been able to see any sort of pattern.
    The workload is low. Only 1-4 users logged in and CPU/RAM usage is low.

There are many third-party software installed on this server, as it is used for terminal services. It is not really an option to uninstall them.

I have read about copying the AppData\Local\Microsoft\windows\appsFolder.itemdata-ms to the Default user profile as a workaround, so I will just do this for the time being..

Kthxbai

Friday, August 26, 2016 8:53 AM