send reports via email using SMTP Relaying (no exchange server on domain) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all!

I recently deployed Forefront Security Client to 30 users and 2 servers but I cannot get reports configured to be delivered by email. I wanted to post here to see if anyone could help me figure out what is incorrect.

First and foremost, can I do reporting via email if I do not have Exchange server?  I have hosted email from our web provider, Network Solutions. I would not think that exchange on the domain is a requirement but I keep seeing it mentioned in articles that help you configure the smtp relay so I figured I would ask.

Since we do not have exchange I have attempted to set up a smtp relay on my WSUS server/FSMO Server but I keep getting repeated 550 Relay not allowed responses.

On the smtp server I have done the following

- Installed SMTP

under SMTP Properties -> "Messages" tab

I specified a valid email for the non-delivery report.

under SMTP Properties -> "Delivery" tab

I have configured outbound smtp connections to use #2525 for tcp port instead of standard port # 25. I configured outbound security to use basic authentication with a special acct I created to send/recv domain alerts. Under "Advanced" I set the masquerade domain value equal to my remote smtp domain mentioned below. The FQDN is set to the server that has smtp installed. And the Smart Host value is set to the same SMTP server.

SMTP Properties - "Access" tab

I specified anonymous authentication but have also tried basic authentication here.

Under "Connection" I kept default values for "All but the list below" and did not add any entries to the list.

Under the "Relay" dialog I entered the ip addresses of my 3 servers and then checked the "allow all authenticated computers to relay regardless of list above"   checkbox.

I added a remote smtp domain in IIS 6.0 Manager with the address of Network Solution's SMTP server. I selected checkboxes to allow incoming mail to relay to this domain. I filled in the IP of my SMTP server on my domain into the [Smart Host] textbox. And I configured outbound security to use basic authentication with a good account.

I then restarted the SMTP service so it would process the modifications.

In MS Mom: created notification group. Created operator. Specified email address for operator. Created a rule group for Event ID #7036 to trigger a notification to my operator.

Opened #2525 TCP in the outbound firewall.

WSUS can send me email notifications, but WSUS is installed on the same server as SMTP server so I am not sure if it is stepping around SMTP and sending straight from WSUS. Actually, I am pretty sure it is doing this.

I don't even get the Non Delivery Receipt emails. And I can also see in the badmail folder that it is eating my emails.  I can trigger event #7036 on the client (MSSQLSERVER stopped) and see this event in MOM 2005 Operator Console.  However, even with my rule group set up to notify upon this event, I get no notification.

I am sure that all my problems boil down to something involved with the SMTP relay. Can anyone assist me in getting this all working correctly? Thanks in advance for anyone who takes time to try!

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 7:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for the post.

To provide e-mail reports, Client Security uses the subscription feature included in SQL Server Reporting Services. E-mail delivery of reports requires that a Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) server is available to support the Client Security reporting server.

For more information, please take a look at the following article:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb418791.aspx

Hope this helps.

Miles

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Tanner Wood Friday, September 17, 2010 5:15 PM
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 7:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for the post.

To provide e-mail reports, Client Security uses the subscription feature included in SQL Server Reporting Services. E-mail delivery of reports requires that a Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) server is available to support the Client Security reporting server.

For more information, please take a look at the following article:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb418791.aspx

Hope this helps.

Miles

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Tanner Wood Friday, September 17, 2010 5:15 PM
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 7:58 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Miles. So it is safe to assume all I need is a properly configured smtp forwarder for the task of handing my email to the external host?

I will review this article. I remember making changes to RSReportServer.Config once before so its possible I have seen this before.

Which technet subforum would I find some SMTP experts to help me fix my configuration issues?

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 1:43 PM