Lost my email, and I need to re-download Windows 8 Pro. I have an upgrade product key, I just want to get the files RRS feed

• Question

• My installation is a mess.  When I try to do a repair, keeping my files, it wants the install media to be available.  I did the upgrade from my desktop, did not save the media (stupid me!!!) so now, I can't get my installation fixed, and I don't have the email any more with the links, so I'm totally screwed!  I can't even do a clean install, I don't have the files available.  Can SOMEONE please help me get this thing fixed?  I'm using the computer for work purposes, and I can't be without it much longer.
      This is a 64 bit version of Windows 8 Professional.
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 3:14 PM

Answers

• This is driving me nuts.  I lost all my email between August 12th 2012 and March 03 2013.  My link was in there.  I have two accounts at Microsoft, and NEITHER one of them show my purchase of Windows 8.  Yet, I still have it installed, and I am stuck here!  Is there any way Microsoft can get back to me on this?  Can they track the order, since I don't have a clue to find out what happened?

Eugene

Well I've never had ms lose an item from my order history. Is it possible that you created another account that you've forgotten about? I don't know how much help it will be but the credit card or whatever you used to pay for the download should also have a record of the transaction. 

For a repair you could borrow the media from someone else. It doesn't have to be the one you installed from as long as it's the same version. You can also reinstall with borrowed media as long as you have your own original license key.

Good luck.

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Friday, March 29, 2013 8:33 AM
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 5:34 PM

All replies

• My installation is a mess.  When I try to do a repair, keeping my files, it wants the install media to be available.  I did the upgrade from my desktop, did not save the media (stupid me!!!) so now, I can't get my installation fixed, and I don't have the email any more with the links, so I'm totally screwed!  I can't even do a clean install, I don't have the files available.  Can SOMEONE please help me get this thing fixed?  I'm using the computer for work purposes, and I can't be without it much longer.
      This is a 64 bit version of Windows 8 Professional.

Go to the Microsoft Store:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/home

Sign in with the account you used to purchase originally. Go to your account at the top of the page and you can download it again.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 3:24 PM
  • This is driving me nuts.  I lost all my email between August 12th 2012 and March 03 2013.  My link was in there.  I have two accounts at Microsoft, and NEITHER one of them show my purchase of Windows 8.  Yet, I still have it installed, and I am stuck here!  Is there any way Microsoft can get back to me on this?  Can they track the order, since I don't have a clue to find out what happened?

Eugene

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 5:12 PM

Eugene

Well I've never had ms lose an item from my order history. Is it possible that you created another account that you've forgotten about? I don't know how much help it will be but the credit card or whatever you used to pay for the download should also have a record of the transaction. 

For a repair you could borrow the media from someone else. It doesn't have to be the one you installed from as long as it's the same version. You can also reinstall with borrowed media as long as you have your own original license key.

Good luck.

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Friday, March 29, 2013 8:33 AM
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 5:34 PM
  • Microsoft, after much prodding, found the order for me.  They provided a new download of the media - which I saved this time, instead of "install from desktop" which I did initially.  Now, if something goes wrong, I can fix it without having to call them (hopefully!)

Thanks to the Microsoft support staff for sticking with me through the troubles and finding a pleasant solution!

Eugene Humbert

Friday, March 29, 2013 5:01 PM
  • Microsoft, after much prodding, found the order for me.  They provided a new download of the media - which I saved this time, instead of "install from desktop" which I did initially.  Now, if something goes wrong, I can fix it without having to call them (hopefully!)

Thanks to the Microsoft support staff for sticking with me through the troubles and finding a pleasant solution!

Eugene Humbert

I'm glad you got it worked out.
    Friday, March 29, 2013 7:28 PM