none
Memory system cache on windows server 2003 standard 64-bit is too hign

Question

• Hi,

I have an issue with one of the server - OS is windows 2003 standard 64 bit. Total memory installed on the server is 16GB. When I go to task manager>performance tab, Total physical memory is 16 GB, available memory is around 500 MB almost all the time, System cache is greater than 13.5GB. When I take a look at all the processes that are running, and if I sum those memory usage it will be around 2 GB. So all the memory is consumed by system cache. Checked the perfmon > memory> system cache resident bytes and it is showing greater than 13.5 GB. I have gone through some articles that tells me to use RAMMAP to find which is using more system cache. But RAMMAP is not designed to run with windows 2003 version. Please can you help with a way/tool to find what is using system cache in windows 2003 server

Thanks in advance

Regards

RJ

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 5:19 AM

All replies

• It is supposed to do this. Windows can be very aggressive in caching data and code. This data is released as soon as the system needs memory for something else, but when it is unused, the system uses it to cache all sorts of stuff. It utilizes the memory which would otherwise be unused. Leaving it unused would basically be a waste.

So in other words, nothing is wrong. It is windows which decides to try and be more efficient. As soon as a request for more memory comes in, it just drops whatever is needed from the cache immediately.

This is one of the reasons that in later versions, the memory is reported differently in task manager, because people kept trying to stop the system from caching because they wanted to see more 'free' memory.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 6:50 AM
  • Many thanks for your reply Bruno...but I am getting lots of alert for memory low.

The following blog describes a way to find what is using RAM(system cache) by using RAMMAP. Are you aware of any such tool that can be used with windows 2003 standard 64 bit

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mspfe/archive/2012/12/06/lots-of-ram-but-no-available-memory.aspx
    Wednesday, January 22, 2014 6:44 PM