none
Problem with publishing remote APPs in server 2012

Question

• Hello,

First sorry for my bad english :)

I have a problem with my server 2012 when publishing remoteapp program. This error shows with every program i want to publish? Can you please help me.

Error when trying to publish remote app: Failed: Coul not create a published application instance on the server: ......

error in event viewer under Microsoft\windows\RDMS-UI\ Admin log

Event ID 16393

Publishing Failed for RDSH Collection - RemoteApp name: Excel 2013  Collection name: ........ Failure: Could not create a published application instance on the server .......

Please i googled it and didnot find any solutions can someone help me?

Thursday, May 30, 2013 6:46 AM

Answers

• Hey all...

Had this same error and this is the first thread that came up on my searches, which is about as useful as a fart in the wind, given our situation. I'm not sure if the below will be any more helpful, but I've been scratching my head for a week trying to find out a solution without booting everyone out (users are connected around the clock) or recreating the collection (same reason again). This is the only thing I have done this morning after testing unsuccessfully again, and now it's working and I can publish and unpublish apps as necessary.

2012 RDS server with about 20 users, some using RemoteApp and Desktop Connections. Everything worked fine until I went to publish Quickbooks for one of the users and got this error. For some reason the app would still show in the list of RemoteApp programs (in Server Manager) even though the wizard had failed - however the apps wouldn't show up in RDWEB, nor would they get published via RemoteApp and Desktop Connections.

Anyway, all I did was go to Server Manager > Remote Desktop Services > Collections > select the collection > click on Tasks > select Edit Deployment Properties > select Certificates – and I noticed the certificate assigned to the roles there was still the old (expired) wildcard cert.  I just updated this to the current wildcard certificate and next time I tried the publishing it worked first time.

Again, not sure if this will be relevant for 95% of cases, but if it even helps 1 person it’s worth me typing this out :)

Tuesday, July 01, 2014 3:07 AM

All replies

• Are you publishing apps to a session collection or a virtual desktop collection?

If it is a session collection, I assume the server in question is one of your RDSH servers? A good first step would be to check the Windows Event Log on the server in question to see if there are any suspicious errors.

Travis Howe | RDS Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/rds/default.aspx

Thursday, May 30, 2013 10:42 PM
  • hello thank you for your answer

I am publishing on session collection. I have just one RDS server on that server i have all services installed...

I check the event viewer system and application. there where no such errors about this. There where just errors in application log about user profile services: event ID 1530: Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards. i checked Some of the remote desktop event viewers there is just one error about RemoteFX module envent id 101: The network characteristics detection function has been disabled because of Client not supported..

In System log it says something about terminalservices printers but that is just about driver.

In event log for: Microsoft\windows\RDMS-UI\ Admin log i saw error which i posted in my first post.

Could you be more specific where should i also look in event viewer for some error? Or where could i get some other info about this problem. i am unexpiriend about solving errors like this so i am where thankfull for any help you gave me...

Friday, May 31, 2013 6:45 AM
  • Hello i found another thing... When i publish APPs such as Excell it appers on my rdweb session and i can open it. But when i want to change user assigment settings on the excell app this error appears :Could not create a published application instance on the server ..... I checked in event viewer no new errors...
    Friday, May 31, 2013 3:53 PM
  • That is... very odd. When apps are published or modified, changes are written to some WMI objects on the RDSH server. It seems like for some reason that is succeeding when you publish the apps, but is failing when you try to update the user assignment settings. I don't understand why that would happen.

I suggest filing a bug on this with Microsoft. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Travis Howe | RDS Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/rds/default.aspx

Friday, May 31, 2013 6:39 PM
  • Any updates?  I'm having the same problem.  Server was fine for about 3 months until one day I went to publish a new remote app.  Now it fails with the error you describe.
    Thursday, August 08, 2013 2:11 PM
  • I deleted the collection and created a new one that was my solution. Luckly i didnt have much programs in this collection so i didnt have much work for publishing them again... Hope you resolve your problem....
    Friday, August 09, 2013 8:04 AM
  • That worked for me too.  My Remote App connection files didn't seem to need updating after trashing it and re-creating.  

Well, they did work, now they seem to be broken.

Thanks!

• Edited by Spames Friday, August 09, 2013 7:14 PM
    Friday, August 09, 2013 7:10 PM
  • Any news about this error? Today I started to get the same error from two separate Windows 2012 servers.
    Friday, May 02, 2014 9:00 AM
  • Hey all...

Had this same error and this is the first thread that came up on my searches, which is about as useful as a fart in the wind, given our situation. I'm not sure if the below will be any more helpful, but I've been scratching my head for a week trying to find out a solution without booting everyone out (users are connected around the clock) or recreating the collection (same reason again). This is the only thing I have done this morning after testing unsuccessfully again, and now it's working and I can publish and unpublish apps as necessary.

2012 RDS server with about 20 users, some using RemoteApp and Desktop Connections. Everything worked fine until I went to publish Quickbooks for one of the users and got this error. For some reason the app would still show in the list of RemoteApp programs (in Server Manager) even though the wizard had failed - however the apps wouldn't show up in RDWEB, nor would they get published via RemoteApp and Desktop Connections.

Anyway, all I did was go to Server Manager > Remote Desktop Services > Collections > select the collection > click on Tasks > select Edit Deployment Properties > select Certificates – and I noticed the certificate assigned to the roles there was still the old (expired) wildcard cert.  I just updated this to the current wildcard certificate and next time I tried the publishing it worked first time.

Again, not sure if this will be relevant for 95% of cases, but if it even helps 1 person it’s worth me typing this out :)

Tuesday, July 01, 2014 3:07 AM
  • Do you have SQL DB on same box by any chance ?

Sanket. J Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, July 01, 2014 4:33 AM
  • Do you have SQL DB on same box by any chance ?

Sanket. J Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

I do.  Does this make a difference?  Just started to get this type of error relating to publishing a new app.
    Wednesday, July 23, 2014 10:13 AM
  • Renewing the certificate resolved the problem for us.  As this is the only hit on Google for that literal error message, "Error when trying to publish remote app: Failed: Could not create a published application instance on the server", I'm replying just to help get this post more Google-love.
    Friday, July 25, 2014 1:53 PM
  • Anyway, all I did was go to Server Manager > Remote Desktop Services > Collections > select the collection > click on Tasks > select Edit Deployment Properties > select Certificates – and I noticed the certificate assigned to the roles there was still the old (expired) wildcard cert.  I just updated this to the current wildcard certificate and next time I tried the publishing it worked first time.

You saved my day!
    Had exactly the same issue and this was the solution.

Thanks a lot!

Thursday, October 02, 2014 8:07 AM
  • worked for me too. Thanks
    Friday, October 10, 2014 12:36 PM
  • Thanks - this fixed for us as well.
    Thursday, March 19, 2015 6:28 PM
  • Hi Travis Howe,

Thanks for your contribution its works for me..

Regards,

Thiyagu

Wednesday, May 06, 2015 7:25 AM
  • worked for me too...thanks for the guide..
    Tuesday, February 16, 2016 2:23 AM
  • Worked for me also! Thanks for the information.
    Tuesday, June 21, 2016 5:18 PM
  • Absolutely relevant in my case. Thank you!!
    Tuesday, June 21, 2016 7:14 PM
  • solved my issue :)
    Wednesday, November 09, 2016 8:36 PM
  • This nailed it for me! Great work, Andrew. Saved me a lot of time troubleshooting.
    Friday, November 25, 2016 11:33 AM
  • Excellent work, this seems like the only page with a solution on the entire internet!
    Friday, January 27, 2017 10:53 AM
  • I actually have this exact scenario happening, but my certificate recently expired and I updated it. Has anyone seen this issue after updating their existing certificate? My certificate is currently valid, but was updated since the last time I've tried to publish anything new.
    • Edited by dvosbury Thursday, March 09, 2017 9:22 PM
    Thursday, March 09, 2017 9:21 PM
  • I am having this issue today.  I deployed about 6 RemoteApps.  Everything went smoothly.  Then I tried to do a few more and I get the error "Failed: Could not create a published application instance on the server".

My certificates are all valid until 2018, so I am not sure where to go from here.  Did you find a solution?

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 6:41 PM
  • Sometime also farting can be useful, can prevent you to have a bad pain.

Your solution worked for me so... thank you very much!!

Tuesday, January 02, 2018 7:44 PM
  • Thanks, it works for me
    Friday, March 02, 2018 1:14 PM
  • Today I faced this issue and it got resolved via below method:

After unpublishing the app, I went to RemotApp folder on Connection Broker server:

C:\Windows\RemotePackages\CPubFarms\CCEP-APPS\CPubRemoteApps

There I can see some files were still there related to application (icon etc). I manually deleted the files and tried republishing. It worked for me.

• Proposed as answer by Vive Mishra Tuesday, April 24, 2018 7:28 AM
    Tuesday, March 06, 2018 12:16 PM
  • this one works for me. thanks much.
    Thursday, March 15, 2018 12:53 AM
  • Thank you! Saved me today when trying to configure a new app into a previously known-working collection. I had updated an SSL Certificate recently in IIS Manager on the same server, and didn't realise it had to be updated in the Collection as well.
    Friday, May 18, 2018 4:13 AM