Mirosoft SteadyState RRS feed

• General discussion

• After installing SteadyState and rebooting my entire desktop was replaced by the original desktop settings for Windows XP Professional causing a lot of work to try to restore my desktop settings. Then my automatic Windows Update was shut of and could not be activated. I also got information that important files on my computers were corrupted. Finally, to get back to work in proper order, I had first to remove the SteadyState program and then to use a recovery progam to return to a safe system working properly. To me the program was nothing less than a disaster and I would recommend anybody to think twice and be prepared with a disaster recovery program before trying SteadyState. It is almost the opposite to "steady state".

Saturday, December 8, 2007 5:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting here!

I understand that some problems were encountered after installing SteadyState. I hope the following information helps if you would like to reinstall it.

#1. Desktop was replaced

----------------------------

Do you have Windows Disk Protection (WDP) enabled? [Which will remove user changes by default]

Do you have your user account locked? [By selecting “Lock profile to prevent the user from making permanent changes”]

If you have these options enabled, it should be an expected behavior. For more information about these options, please refer to the SteadyState Handbook:

Windows SteadyState Handbook

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=D64AF114-336C-4418-BEB7-E074E813B498&displaylang=en

2. Automatic Windows Update was shut of

This is also an expected behavior if you have WDP enabled. Explanation and solution can be found in the following thread:

Updates will not work! HELP!!!!

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2240436&SiteID=69

3. Important files on my computers were corrupted

Did this issue create by SteadyState or other programs? Please also post the exact error message and I will perform further research on it.

To troubleshoot this error, you can perform the following steps to check the system files:

-----------

1. Put the Windows XP CD to the CD-ROM.

2. Click Exit if the auto-menu pops up.

3. Click Start, and click Run.

4. Type "SFC  /Scannow" (without quotation marks) in the Open box, and click OK.

5. Restart the computer.

From the SteadyState standpoint, as WDP is very sensitive to the drive problem, I recommend checking the hard drive with CHKDSK command and defrag it before enabling WDP. Otherwise, some unexpected issues may occur.

If further assistance is needed, please feel free to post back.

Best Regards,

Monday, December 10, 2007 6:53 AM