Undo move and undo copy not work window explorer RRS feed

• Question

• Able to undo rename and undo delete but undo move and undo copy not work(Press Ctrl + Z or Edit -> undo)

This is my step :

• Turn on status bar
    • Create a folder and then drag a file into it
    • Click Edit(in Menu bar) -> hover to undo (doing this i can see from status bar what I am doing)

--> Both undo move and undo copy are grayed out in the Edit Menu

This is all occurring on my local computer (not over a network).

Also, if I delete a file, it does go to the recycle bin as expected.

Assuming that after the file is copied some process is removing the history, I tried to copy 1 file from folder1 to folder2. Then, without copying again, pasting into folder3. The file copies to both locations fine.

I think this problem is come from service, config from Group policy or might be some feature is turn off(System restore, window backup...).

What should I do?

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 9:51 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Weird issue, When did you find the issue? Have you just tried to kill the explorer.exe in task manager, and recreate it to launch the Windows Explorer, check the result, or just logout then login; restart PC; test with another user account? Any result?

I also recommend to use the ShellExView to find if there're some third party shell extension in explorer which cause this issue.

(search "ShellExView" in this website )

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2009.06.toolbox.aspx

NOTE: Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is

independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's

performance or reliability.

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Wiliamnewman Wednesday, December 3, 2014 10:09 AM
    Wednesday, December 3, 2014 5:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Weird issue, When did you find the issue? Have you just tried to kill the explorer.exe in task manager, and recreate it to launch the Windows Explorer, check the result, or just logout then login; restart PC; test with another user account? Any result?

I also recommend to use the ShellExView to find if there're some third party shell extension in explorer which cause this issue.

(search "ShellExView" in this website )

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2009.06.toolbox.aspx

NOTE: Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is

independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's

performance or reliability.

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Wiliamnewman Wednesday, December 3, 2014 10:09 AM
    Wednesday, December 3, 2014 5:34 AM
  • Hello, Thank you for reply!! As you say, it's weird issue. I found this problem when move a file to folder(by drag and drop but wrong file) and then trying to undo that mistake but it seem not work.

I have been try undo in "Safe Mode" but it still not work.

In my opinion, might be some "window service" or "feature" associate with undo event but not work. If not i think i have to reinstall window because it seem to be hard to fix.

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 10:08 AM