none
Bitlocker shows error message to unlock after decryption was interrupted by a system restart RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using Bitlocker with no problem for a few months and I just wanted to turn it off. I recognize that the encryption and decryption process usually continue after a system restart, as stated from the microsoft page :

What happens if the computer is turned off during encryption or decryption?

The BitLocker encryption and decryption processes can be interrupted by turning the computer off, and it will resume where it left off the next time Windows starts. This is true even if the power is suddenly unavailable.

(see: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766200(v=ws.10).aspx)

However this time it just doesnt work and showed me this after I restarted.

"bit locker error: The Bitlocker encryption on this drive isn't compatible with the version of windows. Try opening the drive using newer version of windows."

But the whole time I am just using the same drive on the same laptop without any update... Would anyone know how I can retrieve data from this drive?

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 2:55 PM

All replies

• Sometimes, corruption occurs, that's why we need backups.

Your best bet will be repair-bde.exe

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 9:44 PM
  • Hi ,

"Bitlocker error: The Bitlocker encryption on this drive isn't compatible with the version of windows. Try opening the drive using newer version of windows."
    Does this issue occur during encryption or decryption?

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 7:10 AM