Re-installing Exchange 2007 SP3 CCR based mailbox server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

We have 10 CCR based Exchange 2007 SP3 mailbox server installed on Windows Server 2003 SP2 . Now we are planning for OS  migrate to Windows Server 2008 R2 . So , we have to re-build cluster ( CCR ) for mailbox server  and we want to keep same cluster name, CCR node's name , IP address etc as pervious .

My query is that , After decommission of  both nodes ( passive and active ) which includes destroying cluster ( windows cluster) and CMS ( Exchange cluster) and before re-building cluster :-

1) Is it mandatory to delete Virtual computer object for CMS from AD ?

2) Is it mandatory to delete DNS record for CMS virtual computer object  ?

3) Is it mandatory to delete Virtual computer object and its DNS record of windows cluster ?

Kindly suggest the best recommendation .

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards

Faiz

Saturday, December 6, 2014 1:22 PM

Answers

• Hi,

My test lab has deployed DAG, for troubleshooting purpose, I always recreate DAG.

Before I create new DAG, I delete CNO for DAG and the related DNS record. After DAG is created successfully, the CNO and DNS record for DAG are created automatically. Actually, the CNO for DAG is created automatically when you add first node to DAG. If you don't delete CNO before you add first member, you may get error.

For Exchange 2007 CCR recreating, I think it is similar to recreating DAG. You had better delete CNO and related DNS record before you recreate CCR in Exchange 2007.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Best regards,

Belinda Ma
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Belinda Ma Tuesday, December 16, 2014 9:53 AM
    Friday, December 12, 2014 2:36 AM