none
FAST Search - The search request was unable to connect to the Search Service RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I'm getting this error when trying to search for anything innthe FAST search center:

The search request was unable to connect to the Search Service

FAST has been installed on a separate box. SP and FAST are both running under an Ent admin account

FAST is configured as below: (from install_info.txt)

"FAST Search Query Search Service Application configuration

---------------------------------------------------------------

Query Service Location HTTP (default):            http://moswfe01.servertech2k8.net:13287

Administration Service Location HTTP (default):   http://moswfe01.servertech2k8.net:13257

Resource Store Location:                          http://moswfe01.servertech2k8.net:13255

Account for Administration Service:               servertech2k8\svcsp2010primary

FAST Search Content Search Service Application configuration

Content Distributors (for PowerShell SSA creation):   moswfe01.servertech2k8.net:13391

Content Distributors (for GUI SSA creation):          moswfe01.servertech2k8.net:13391

Default Content Collection Name:                      sp"

The web app is associated with the FAST service app

nctrl status on the FAST server shows all running

certs have been exported and imported and cert with thumbprint is in the trusted root

content source created, crawled

Just falling at the very last hurdle

All services are started on the SP and FAST box and no errors in the event logs

Additional Info:

I used the following from http://blogs.msdn.com/spses/archive/2010/04/09/installation-and-configuration-of-fast-search-server-for-sharepoint-2010-beta.aspx to setup the certs:

Exporting the Certificate

The steps to do this are as follows,

Open a SharePoint 2010 Management Shell. Run the following commands.

$stsCert = (Get-SPSecurityTokenServiceConfig).LocalLoginProvider.SigningCertificate

$stsCert.Export("cert") | Set-Content -encoding byte MOSS_STS.cer

The file MOSS_STS.cer is created in the same directory from where the command was executed . Copy MOSS_STS.cer to the directory FASTSearch to FS14 node.

Importing the Certificate

Log on to FAST server. Open a FASTSearch for SharePoint 2010 shell as administrator and navigate to FAST Search installed location .<install drive>\FASTSearch\installer\scripts.

Enter and run the following command:

.\InstallSTSCertificateForClaims.ps1 –certPath c:\FASTSearch\MOSS_STS.cer

Copy the FASTSearchCert.pfx from the FS14 node to the SharePoint node. Certificate location <install drive>\FASTSearch\data\data_security\cert\FASTSearchCert.pfx

Copy the securefastsearchconnector.ps1 script to the SharePoint node. Location <install drive>\FASTSearch\installer\scripts\securefastsearchconnector.ps1 .

Log on to SharePoint server. Open a SharePoint 2010 Server Management shell ( run as Administrator). Run the script with the certificate as input:

.\SecureFASTSearchConnector.ps1 –certPath FASTSearchCert.pfx –ssaName “FAST Connector”

I find I can browse to moswfe01.servertech2k8.net:13391 on the FAST box but not from the SharePoint box (IE cannot display the webpage)

I can browse to moswfe01.servertech2k8.net:13257 on the FAST box (though I get "

HTTP Error 403.14 - Forbidden

The Web server is configured to not list the contents of this directory."

--> I get this message when I try to browse to this site from the SharePoint box

403 - Forbidden: Access is denied.

You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied.

Cheers

Jon

• Edited by jonjames Tuesday, May 4, 2010 9:41 AM correction
    • Moved by hsalviMicrosoft employee, Moderator Thursday, August 12, 2010 1:24 AM Moving to Fast Forum (From:SharePoint 2010 - Setup, Upgrade, Administration and Operation)
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 8:36 AM

All replies

• I'm having the same issue. Did you find a solution?
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 8:17 PM
  • Finally... I fixed my problem.

My cert was in the wrong location since I had FAST and SP on the same server.

Read the Cert section very carefully. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff393738.aspx

I had to copy the cert for Sharepoint under the Trusted People section.

Friday, June 4, 2010 6:30 PM
  • Hello jonjames,

Did you verified that Fast Query SSA Proxy is associated with Web Application you are Running Seacrh Center. to verify in CentralAdmin > Web Application Management Select Web Application Select Service Connections from ribbon. this should list all service connections for web application. make sure that Query SSA Proxy is selected if not Modify this and try to search.

Thanks,

Hiran
    Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Sunday, June 6, 2010 7:38 PM
  • Check the ULS log when you attempt to access the search page, you'll get a better indication of what the problem is.
    Monday, June 7, 2010 2:01 PM