New Skype for Business after failed Lync 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I previously had a Lync 2010 environment but had a hardware failure and lost the CMS. Long story short, I used ADSI Edit to remove the RTC services under Configuration then removed all the Lync attributes from my users' accounts. I was then able to get all my users' accounts active with Skype for Business in Office 365.

I now need to turn up Skype for Business 2015 with a mediation role so that I can connect my on-prem VoIP phone system to Exchange Online so I can move my users' UM-enabled mailboxes to EOL. I've spinned up a virtual server running Server 2016 and began the process of installing Skype for Business 2015. After the initial setup, the first screen of the Deployment Wizard indicates a warning under Prepare Active Directory: "Partial". When I click the Prepare Active Directory link, the Step 1 section indicates it's Complete. However, when I run Get-CsAdForest the following errors are returned.

WARNING: The global object "RTC Service" in Active Directory is not ready.
    WARNING: The global object "" in Active Directory is not ready.
    WARNING: Forest is not prepped.
    LC_FORESTSETTINGS_STATE_NOTREADY
    WARNING: "Get-CsAdForest" processing has completed with warnings. "3" warnings were recorded during this run.
    WARNING: Detailed results can be found at
    "C:\Users\[SchemaAdmin]\AppData\Local\Temp\2\Get-CsAdForest-d1bb99f7-bdb1-4e22-9963-2a014e4a1120.html".

The html file says the same thing. I do not know how to resolve this issue. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thursday, January 25, 2018 6:40 PM

Answers

• I'd try the last two steps from this article if you have the module installed: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg195815%28v=ocs.14%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396 and try again.  Haven't been in this situation so not sure what the issue is. 

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote" on the left side of the response, and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, SWC, their employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, January 25, 2018 7:52 PM

All replies

• I'd try the last two steps from this article if you have the module installed: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg195815%28v=ocs.14%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396 and try again.  Haven't been in this situation so not sure what the issue is. 

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote" on the left side of the response, and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, SWC, their employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, January 25, 2018 7:52 PM
  • Thank you for your reply. I ran both of those (Disable-CsAdDomain and Disable-CsAdForest) but still have the issue. I wonder if the configuration for Lync 2010 is stored in a different location than Skype wants it? I'm going to see if I can find a shell command to re-run the schema extension.
    Thursday, January 25, 2018 8:23 PM
  • When I look in ADSI Edit under Schema, I verify the upper (1150) and lower (3) limits to be as documented. However, also in ADSI Edit under Configuration I see there is still no RTC Service listed, as the error is complaining. The way I understand it, I cannot do the Forest Prep without this. The saga continues...
    Thursday, January 25, 2018 8:33 PM
  • When I ran everything from PowerShell, the commands completed successfully. I was waiting for replication between steps - even kicking off syncs in Sites and Services - but maybe it still just took a while to sync up. Regardless, I'm on to topology now. Thank you!
    Thursday, January 25, 2018 8:54 PM