none
Overallocated resources RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have created a project. A few tasks, each duration a few days. I assigned resource from the pool. I wanted to change max. units of the resource because it will not work for 100% just for this project. But when I changed it to any value (in %), the error occur saying that all tasks have overallocated resources. Any help, please?

Thursday, March 22, 2018 7:19 PM

All replies

• Lubos,

Max units for a resource is the total percentage of their time that can be used for all task assignments combined. For example the default is 100% meaning the resource can work full time on a single task or any number of tasks that in total add up to that resource's max units. It sounds like you want to change the assignment level for a particular task and that is done at the assignment level (Resource > Assign Resources icon).

If you instead changed the Max Units level on the Resource Sheet, then any task wherein that resource was assigned full time will probably show an overallocation. That sounds like what you did.

Hope this helps.

John

Thursday, March 22, 2018 8:33 PM
  • Lubos,

if you insert the peak field/column into the entry table of the resource sheet, you will be able to see how much over-allocated the resources are. If you increase the max units to as much as or more than the peak, the over-allocation will disappear.

However, is this realistic modelling? I don't think so. How can a person be available for more than 100% of that persons availability?

You are better off levelling and allowing MSP to delay some of the tasks.

Any help?

Thursday, March 22, 2018 10:30 PM