SCE 2010 + VMM Workgroup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I currently have VMM 2008 R2 licensed, and I'm planning to use it to manage and monitor VMware machines.
    Can I install it on the same machine running SCE, installed without the VMM modules?

Will I see any kind of integration between SCVMM 2008 R2 and SCE 2010? Will I need to import SCVMM 2008 R2 Management Packs? Is this even supported?

Thanks.

Friday, April 23, 2010 7:58 PM

Answers

• We advise that you don't install Essentials 2010 and VMM components on the same computer. This still applies even when you install Essentials and do not select the Virtualization feature.

If you use VMware (or any other hyper visor) then you won't see the built in virtualization integration of Essentials 2010. You will still be able to use Essentials to monitor, deploy updates and software, collect inventory etc from the virtual machines running a Windows based Operating System (since for these functions the virtual machines appear the same as physical machines). 

If you would like to move your VMware virtual machines to Hyper-V, then Essentials can help you do this, and you will see the integrated virtualization functionality.

If you have VMM 2008 R2 and Essentials 2010 on different computers you will not by default see any integration between the two. You could install the VMM Management Pack, although you won't get the integration of PRO tips, start/stop/pause functionality etc. 

Thanks

Richard 

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Thursday, May 6, 2010 7:04 AM
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 11:53 PM

All replies

• We advise that you don't install Essentials 2010 and VMM components on the same computer. This still applies even when you install Essentials and do not select the Virtualization feature.

If you use VMware (or any other hyper visor) then you won't see the built in virtualization integration of Essentials 2010. You will still be able to use Essentials to monitor, deploy updates and software, collect inventory etc from the virtual machines running a Windows based Operating System (since for these functions the virtual machines appear the same as physical machines). 

If you would like to move your VMware virtual machines to Hyper-V, then Essentials can help you do this, and you will see the integrated virtualization functionality.

If you have VMM 2008 R2 and Essentials 2010 on different computers you will not by default see any integration between the two. You could install the VMM Management Pack, although you won't get the integration of PRO tips, start/stop/pause functionality etc. 

Thanks

Richard 

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Thursday, May 6, 2010 7:04 AM
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 11:53 PM
  • Hi Richard,

I currently tested cooperation of SCE 2010 and SCVMM 2008 R2 on one machine and I have been successfull. The steps are as follows:

1) Install SCE 2010 without Virtualization Management Components.
    2) Install SCVMM 2008 R2 Server on the same machine where you have SCE 2010 installed.
    3) Install SCVMM 2008 R2 Administration Console on another machine in domain.
    4) Run SCE 2010 for the first time, configure it (as in Users Guide).
    5) Configure reporting server (VMM Service account needs to have rights for reporting).
    6) Import all Virtual Machine Manager Management Packs from "C:\Program Files\System Center Essentials" including VMM Reporting.
    7) Start your SCVMM 2008 R2 Administration Console on the other machine and configure SCOM a Reporting in SCVMM 2008 R2.
    8) Now you can enable PRO tips (if needed).
    9) In a few minutes, everything will start working together (including support for VMWare in SCVMM in your environment).

If needed, I can place here more detailed information (about accounts used for services etc). In our test-lab, everything works fine, reporting and PRO is fully available and operates fine (PRO tips working).
    In SCE, I can see Virtualization Management Components and I cn use them. Everything what is done in SCE 2010 can be seen in SCVMM 2008 R2 and vice versa.

Please feel free to as me for any details needed. I can test more scenarios in our demo lab.

Best regards,

Jaroslav.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 5:21 PM
  • Hi Ricdgr,

I have an update for your question. Whatever I have tested, it seems that the SCE Server contains whole VMM core and therefore the only one thing you need to fully manage this VMM server is to have the VMM Administration console installed on any other machine than the SCE server.

This is MUST BE - you need to install full SCE server (including Virtualization support) and then use your VMM medium to install VMM Admin Console on ANOTHER machine than SCE server.

After that, you can start the VMM Administration Console, connect to your SCE server (so the address of the server will be really your SCE Management Server) and you will able to manage the full VMM server inside SCE. SCE Administration Console is only "masking" some features of VMM but the features are still there (you can also try using PowerShell - all cmdlets are on SCE server).

You can also use Self Service Portal if needed (just install it on SCE server and configure accounts using VMM Admin Console) or connect your vCenter Server through VMM Admin Console.

Don't remember - for this functionality, you will need to have VMM Server License (or VMM Workgroup License).

Regards,

Jaroslav.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 2:29 PM