none
Permissions to grant request access

Question

• Hi,

My client has a SharePoint-intranet in Office 365. One feature they have is a so-called "Work rooms". These are just sub sites where they create unique permissions and grant access to the user who will be the "owner" of the room. The IT-department (who creates these rooms) then gives this user Full Control permissions in the room. Access Request Settings are also changed so that the owner of the room gets access requests and this is where the problem occurs. Other users can request access and the owner will get the requests, but when the owner tries to approve the access request, he/she get's a error message saying that he/she doesn't have permissions to do just that.

To give the owners of the room Site Collection Admn is not a solution since that will give them way more permissions than they are supposed to on the whole intranet.

Does anyone know what might be wrong? Anything I'm overseeing? 

Monday, October 3, 2016 8:01 AM

All replies

• Ignoring the automated part of the process, if it possible for the owner to grant the permissions through the site settings > Access Requests and permissions link? If they can't then they don't have the right permission level for some reason, if they can then it's something to do with the link.

My initial suspicion would be that the URL that you're using to grant permission is trying to take your owner to a page they can't see or use a specific interface, or grant too much permission for that user.

Monday, October 3, 2016 9:05 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I'll have them test this. If this doesn't work I'll have to consider opening a ticket with Microsoft. The user who is trying to approve the access request has enough permissions, no doubt about that. I have done the "Check permissions" on this user and it shows "Full Control" and "Limited Access" - in which Full Control should "win".

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 6:24 AM
  • Hi HelgeNorvang,

You should add the user with the issue to the Owners group for the site in SharePoint online.

For more detailed information, you could refer to the article below.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2911390

More reference:

Set up and manage access requests.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Set-up-and-manage-access-requests-94b26e0b-2822-49d4-929a-8455698654b3

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 3:36 PM
  • Hi HelgeNorvang,

You should add the user with the issue to the Owners group for the site in SharePoint online.

For more detailed information, you could refer to the article below.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2911390

More reference:

Set up and manage access requests.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Set-up-and-manage-access-requests-94b26e0b-2822-49d4-929a-8455698654b3

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thanks.

The thing is that they have unique permissions and have deleted the default groups. So their thoughts are that they should grant "Full Control" to the owners of the site.

In my head, "Full Control" should be enough to be able to grant/deny access requests.. Yes?

Friday, October 7, 2016 7:49 AM
  • Deleting the default groups is rarely a good idea. Whilst you'd hope MS have tested it and planned for it i doubt that all possible combinations have been tested nor work.

Full control should be able to grant access, but if (for example) the default group that users are added to is missing then strange things may happen.

Have they managed to test the manual approach yet?

Monday, October 10, 2016 8:36 AM
  • Hi HelgeNorvang,

How is everything going?

Is there anything update about this issue?

You could compare the permission between full control permission level in the site and the default owner permission in other site. And apply the same permission on the full control permission level.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 6:35 AM