Windows XP (SP3) Activation Problem After Virus Removal RRS feed

• Question

• I have 10 desktop in my office with Windows XP (SP3) OS and Panda anti virus . I've recently noticed that two of them acting like infected. In order to do deep scanning, I pulled out their HDD and install them into another case one by one. After scanning and removal viruses, I got activation problem. I tried re-activate the windows with no success.

Here is the situation, my computers have pre-installed  windows XP with no installation disk or partition, so I need to know how can I re-install windows on them  with same product keys as before?

Saturday, July 28, 2012 3:52 PM

All replies

• You will have to have an install media, either a CD or an image on your network.

If you need an installation CD contact the manufacturer of the computer systems to see if you can obtain a copy of their installation or recovery disc.

Your last resort is to purchase a copy of windows XP on the internet.  Here is a link to a Bing search for Windows XP:  http://www.bing.com/search?q=windows+xp&qs=AS&form=QBLH&pq=windows+xp&sc=8-10&sp=2&sk=AS1

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Edited by Rick Dee Saturday, July 28, 2012 4:23 PM
    Saturday, July 28, 2012 4:23 PM
  • You need to return the hard drives to the computers it was originally installed in.  The OEM Windows XP license is tied to the original computer.

Carey Frisch

Sunday, July 29, 2012 4:12 AM
  • Try the phone activation.

When you put them in a new computer, did you boot to them or just use the drive as a slave?

Monday, July 30, 2012 1:57 AM
  • You need to return the hard drives to the computers it was originally installed in.  The OEM Windows XP license is tied to the original computer.

Carey Frisch

Also to what Carey has stated, your install was from the server and not directly in each computer so the server would have the instruction set for the Serial Number keys. If you had used the same Serial Number individually on each computer then the Activation would have been disabled after the thrid install unless you had a licence for more than 3 computers usage of the same OS installation..
    Monday, July 30, 2012 7:49 AM