No audio: plugging in headphones causes message "Not plugged in" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

For almost two years, I had audio working just fine on my computer.  I always listened through headphones plugged into the front headphone jack.  A month or so back, it stopped working, and I have no idea why.

I have an XPS 420 running Windows Vista (32-bit). I have the SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC(driver version 6.10.0.5511 driver date 5/6/2007).  I have tried rebooting, disabling and reenabling the codec, uninstalling and reinstalling it, etc.  Nothing of that nature has helped.

From the Control Panel > Sound dialog, I can see that the Speakers/Headphones shows SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC with a green check mark and the word "Working."  As soon as I plug in the headphones, the green check mark changes to a red down arrow,and the word "Working" changes to "Not plugged in." When I unplug the headphones, the status changes back to "Working."

No, my system is not muted.  Changing the volume level did not help.  I have tried several different media players: no audio no matter what I use.  I also bought new headphones.  That didn't help, either.

Update: I just dug up an old pair of powered speakers (Sony SRS-88) with 3.5 mm jacks, and found something that did work:

When I plug a speaker into the right (green) speaker jack on the back of the computer, and the headphones into the headphone jack on the front of the computer, the status changes to "Working" and I get sound out of the headphones and the speaker. 

When I plug a speaker into the left (blue) speaker jack on the back of the computer, and the headphones into the headphone jack on the front of the computer, I get no sound.

When I plug both speakers into the back speaker jacks, I get sound out of the speaker plugged into the right speaker jack.  When I switch the speakers, I still get sound out of the speaker plugged into the right speaker jack.

When I have both speakers and the headphones plugged in, I get sound out of the headphones only - not the speakers.  

Motherboard info:

Property    Value
    Manufacturer    Dell Inc.
    Model    0TP406

North Bridge    Intel X38 Revision 00
    South Bridge    Intel 82801IR (ICH9R) Revision 00

CPU    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6850 @ 3.00GHz
    Cpu Socket    Socket 775 LGA

System Slots    6 PCI

Saturday, October 16, 2010 10:21 PM

All replies

• This turned out to be a hardware problem: the sound chip on the motherboard was defective.  I dealt with it by installing a separate sound card.

Sunday, February 27, 2011 2:01 AM