Initial connection to Default Frontend connector (port 25) is not showing up in the Message Tracking Logs - how come?? RRS feed

• Question

• Yes, the connector has logging enabled.

I am testing mail flow through our new EX2016 setup.  There is only one connector setup to listen on port 25, which is the "Default Frontend XXXXXX" connector.  This has not been modified from default.

When I use an SMTP Test tool from my desktop to send me an email, the message comes through, but when I do a Get-MessageTrackingLog, the only connector that shows activity is "Default XXXXX" which is port 2525.  Shouldn't that initial connection to port 25 show in the tracking log or is it a straight proxy from "Frontend" to "Default" ?

Thanks!

Monday, July 25, 2016 5:13 PM

Answers

I am testing mail flow through our new EX2016 setup.  There is only one connector setup to listen on port 25, which is the "Default Frontend XXXXXX" connector.  This has not been modified from default.

When I use an SMTP Test tool from my desktop to send me an email, the message comes through, but when I do a Get-MessageTrackingLog, the only connector that shows activity is "Default XXXXX" which is port 2525.  Shouldn't that initial connection to port 25 show in the tracking log or is it a straight proxy from "Frontend" to "Default" ?

Thanks!

Its a proxy. Look in the sub dirs under:

\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\Logs\FrontEnd\ProtocolLog for logs

Blog:    Twitter:   

Monday, July 25, 2016 5:23 PM
  • Hi,

Agree with Andy. The primary function of Receive connectors in the Front End Transport service is to accept anonymous and authenticated SMTP connections into your Exchange organization. The TransportRole property value for these connectors is FrontendTransport. The Front End Transport service relays or proxies these connections to the Transport service for categorization and routing to the final destination.

For more detailed information please refer to Receive connectors.

In Microsoft Exchange Server, the message tracking log is a detailed record of all message activity as messages are transferred to and from the Transport service on Mailbox servers, mailboxes on Mailbox servers, and Edge Transport servers.

For more detailed information please refer to Message tracking.

Best regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jason Chao
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Jason.Chao Tuesday, August 2, 2016 1:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by Niko.Cheng Friday, August 5, 2016 1:17 AM
    Wednesday, July 27, 2016 1:18 AM

All replies

Thanks!

Its a proxy. Look in the sub dirs under:

\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\Logs\FrontEnd\ProtocolLog for logs

Blog:    Twitter:   

Monday, July 25, 2016 5:23 PM
  • Thank you! - So there is no way for me to see the logs via PowerShell? I'll check out the directory to see if what I'm expecting is there.

Monday, July 25, 2016 5:25 PM
  • Hi,

Agree with Andy. The primary function of Receive connectors in the Front End Transport service is to accept anonymous and authenticated SMTP connections into your Exchange organization. The TransportRole property value for these connectors is FrontendTransport. The Front End Transport service relays or proxies these connections to the Transport service for categorization and routing to the final destination.

For more detailed information please refer to Receive connectors.

In Microsoft Exchange Server, the message tracking log is a detailed record of all message activity as messages are transferred to and from the Transport service on Mailbox servers, mailboxes on Mailbox servers, and Edge Transport servers.

For more detailed information please refer to Message tracking.

Best regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jason Chao
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Jason.Chao Tuesday, August 2, 2016 1:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by Niko.Cheng Friday, August 5, 2016 1:17 AM
    Wednesday, July 27, 2016 1:18 AM