lock icon appears each time i create or move a file or folder. RRS feed

• Question

• hello guys, 

well it started when i tried to lock a file i went like this : 

-Properties 

-General

-Advanced

-Encrypt content to secure data.

a window popped out asking me to create a password but i didn't do so i just canceled the process & unchecked the Encrypt content to secure data again.

now every time i create a folder or a file or even move it somewhere the lock icon appears again, it doesn't require any password but it's just annoying me. is there anyway to prevent it from showing again ?

thanks & yeah i use windows 10 pro.

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 3:00 AM

All replies

•  

Hi

What folder did you encrypt? If it is the folder under the root, the sub file under it may also be encrypted, which shows the lock icon. And it is known that the folder can be encrypted by EFS certification without the password. That is why you pass entering the password but the folder is still be encrypted.

If you want other user logging on with the access to the encrypted files or backup the certification to decrypt the encrypted folder, you can export the certificate, which locate at Manage User Certificates>Personal >Certificates>Open>Details>Enhanced Key Usage>Copy to File… You can decrypted the folder by import the certification.

Best regards,

Vivian

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 11, 2017 2:14 AM