none
DPM 2012 S1 UR8 - event 999 service crash RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've tried to add a new computer to a protection group and the console crashed.

Since the DPM Service crash and I cannot open the managemnet console.

I have tried many solutions to find the cause, but I wasn't able to find the right solution.

Is there a way to identify a job or a record causing this ?

I cannot reinstall the server because I have hundreds of Gigas backuped to azure and it takes so many time to complete...

Here the crash error log. Please I need help.

Problem Details:

<FatalServiceError><__System><ID>19</ID><Seq>23</Seq><TimeCreated>17/12/2014 11:58:14</TimeCreated><Source>DpmThreadPool.cs</Source><Line>163</Line><HasError>True</HasError></__System><ExceptionType>NullReferenceException</ExceptionType><ExceptionMessage>Object reference not set to an instance of an object.</ExceptionMessage><ExceptionDetails>System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Prm.Alerts.ComplexAlert.get_objectID()

at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Prm.Alerts.AlertUtils.DeletePartialCloudBackupSuccessAlerts(SqlContext ctx, Guid datasourceId)

at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Intent.IntentManager.DeleteAlertsForCloud(IMCatalogDB imCatalog, Guid datasourceId)

at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Intent.IntentManager.HandleAlertsCleanup(IMCatalogDB imCatalog, Datasource dataSource, ProtectedGroupDB protectedGroup)

at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Intent.IntentManager.Refresh()

at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Intent.IntentTranslator.IntentRestart()

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)

at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()</ExceptionDetails></FatalServiceError>

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 1:24 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It appears that you have hit a known issue that we are not able to reproduce - please run the following query

NOTE: Make a backup of the DPM Database before proceeding.

1-Start SQL management studio and connect the DPM instance.
    2-Select the appropriate DPMDB name and start a new query.
    3-Copy / paste the below query into the query window and execute it.   

DELETE tbl_AHP_Alerts WHERE AlertID in (SELECT AhpAlert.AlertID  FROM dbo.tbl_AHP_Alerts AS AhpAlert 
    WHERE AhpAlert.AlertId not in (SELECT AlertId FROM dbo.tbl_PRM_AlertExtension) 
    and Type = 72) 

4- The DPM console should now start ok.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 4:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It appears that you have hit a known issue that we are not able to reproduce - please run the following query

NOTE: Make a backup of the DPM Database before proceeding.

1-Start SQL management studio and connect the DPM instance.
    2-Select the appropriate DPMDB name and start a new query.
    3-Copy / paste the below query into the query window and execute it.   

DELETE tbl_AHP_Alerts WHERE AlertID in (SELECT AhpAlert.AlertID  FROM dbo.tbl_AHP_Alerts AS AhpAlert 
    WHERE AhpAlert.AlertId not in (SELECT AlertId FROM dbo.tbl_PRM_AlertExtension) 
    and Type = 72) 

4- The DPM console should now start ok.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 4:32 PM
  • Thank you very much :) :) :)

Wednesday, December 24, 2014 11:57 AM
  • Had the same problem and this worked for me.  I am also using Azure Online backups.
    Wednesday, January 20, 2016 8:56 PM
  • Solution is still relevant. Resolved an issue for me today on DPM 2019 with Azure backup

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

Wednesday, February 12, 2020 11:47 AM
  • Lets drag this one up from the archives!

Indeed still relevant in the latest version of DPM 2019 (With Azure offload.) Literally just experienced this. The proposed answer did fix the issue for us but we then had to do a consistency check on every single replica (not a quick thing!).

For us, i was in the process of creating a new protection group containing a single SQL server, simple schedule, only a handful of databases. Agent pushed out fine, made my backup selection, everything went success with the exception of "protection group", which is where the console hung for about 10 minutes then bombed. No more DPM server! upon re-launch of the console i was bombarded with the usual crap about making sure the follwoing services are started:

• DPM (MSDPM)
    • DPM Access Manager Service (DPMAMService)
    • DPM Writer (DpmWriter)
    • DPMLA (DPM Library Agent)
    • DPMRA (DPM Replication Agent)
    • SQL Agent
    • SQL DB instance

Checking the event log revealed a shedload of these for each time the console tried to restart the service

The description for Event ID 999 from source MSDPM cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

An unexpected error caused a failure for process 'msdpm'.  Restart the DPM process 'msdpm'.

Problem Details:
    <FatalServiceError><__System><ID>19</ID><Seq>0</Seq><TimeCreated>24/07/2020 15:47:42</TimeCreated><Source>DpmThreadPool.cs</Source><Line>163</Line><HasError>True</HasError></__System><ExceptionType>NullReferenceException</ExceptionType><ExceptionMessage>Object reference not set to an instance of an object.</ExceptionMessage><ExceptionDetails>System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Prm.Alerts.ComplexAlert.get_objectID()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Prm.Alerts.AlertUtils.DeletePartialCloudBackupSuccessAlerts(SqlContext ctx, Guid datasourceId)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Intent.IntentManager.DeleteAlertsForCloud(IMCatalogDB imCatalog, Guid datasourceId)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Intent.IntentManager.HandleAlertsCleanup(IMCatalogDB imCatalog, Datasource dataSource, ProtectedGroupDB protectedGroup)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Intent.IntentManager.Refresh()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Intent.IntentTranslator.IntentRestart()
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()</ExceptionDetails></FatalServiceError>

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

Now when i launch the console i was confronted with a 948 error. i had already tried a DPMSync -Sync (but it failed) so wonder if this caused my 948. after running another DPMSync -Sync im now back in the console and consistency checking all my replicas. What a rubbish end to a Friday!

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click Vote as Helpful, if it answered your question, please click Mark as Answer. I do not work for Microsoft, I manage a large estate in the private sector, my views are generally first hand production experiences. Emma's Baby Diary About Me

Friday, July 24, 2020 5:00 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry to hear about your experience but since you ran Dpmsync -sync command, it actually made all your replica go inconsistent. Did you try to open the console after running the SQL query? Did it not fix the issue?

Regards
    Aayoosh Moitro

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help

Friday, July 24, 2020 5:18 PM
  • This issue has been fixed in the below products with update rollup.

FIXED DPM 2016 UR10
    FIXED DPM 2019 UR2  (To be released very soon)
    FIXED MABS V3 UR2 (When released)

Regards
    Mike Jacquet

Friday, July 24, 2020 7:44 PM
  • no, this still applies with DPM 2019 UR2

https://www.holert.com

Project  & Portfolio Management with Microsoft 365 - Oldenburg, Berlin, Munich/Germany

• Edited by Renke Holert Wednesday, October 21, 2020 11:39 AM
    Wednesday, October 21, 2020 11:36 AM