Windows Updates Repeating Continuously - Server 2008 R2 64bit RRS feed

• Question

• I have a server that has been repeating the same updates continuously over and over again. They install but do not show up in the list of installed updates. Additionally the windowsupdate.log shows the file installed successfully, but once again the update doesn't and continually shows up in the 'updates to intall' from the WSUS. The updates that keep repeating are:

• KB2871997
    • KB3000483
    • KB3004375
    • KB3031432
    • KB3046269
    • KB3033929
    • KB3068708
    • IE 11 for Windows Server 2008 R2 x64

Something I noticed is the file size stated in control panel is much small than the actual updates are from the MS Update Catalog. For example KB2871997 is only showing as 23kb, but it is actually 12.3mb in size. 

Here are some of the steps I have completed to try and fix there error:

• I have ran sfc /scannow and everything appears to be in order there.
    • I have stopped wuau service deleted and the software distribution and datalogs. Then restarted the service.
    • I went to the microsoft update catalog and manually installed the updates, still don't show as installed.
    • Ran Windows Update Diagnostic for Windows Update and found a problem that couldn't be fixed. 
    • Ran Windows Update Diagnostic for BITs, here's the result for it.

That's where I'm at currently... Any other recommendations. 

Tuesday, February 27, 2018 8:05 PM

All replies

• A quick google search revealed this gem: WindowsUpdate Error 0x80070005

It says to make sure you are logged on as an administrator, and then to install the updates again. 

If that doesn't work, to download the SubInACL tool (links are in the fix there) and fix some of the ACL entries on the registry files that are denied.

Tuesday, February 27, 2018 10:47 PM