none
WSS_Content database copies? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I noticed my SharePoint SQL server has three instances of WSS_Content.  One is just called "WSS_Content" but the other two are named roughly: "WSS_Content_d103o4y5o6ycu7wq8w123d22300"

Does anyone know what those other two would be, and how I can tell if they are being used, or if I can dump them?

Thank you.

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, April 13, 2011 5:18 PM admin q (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 4:43 PM

Answers

• SharePoint has different Databases for each web application, Configuration and Central Administration.

1 Database for SharePoint Configuration (SharePoint_Config_{Guid})

1 Database for SharePoint Central Administration (SharePoint_AdminContent_{Guid})

If you have 3 web applications, you will have have minimum 3 SharePoint Content Databases. Each will have 1 SharePoint Content Database.

The Content database was named like WSS_Content_{GUID of webapplication}

I think, WSS_Content refers to the 80 port webapplication

If you want to check the webapplication's content database, check the Manage Contnet Database option in Central administration.

Regards,
    Shantha Kumar .T | MCPD - SharePoint Developer 2010 | MCITP - SharePoint Administrator 2010 |
    (B) Shantha Kumar's Blog | (T)Follow me | (C) IOTAP
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 5:19 PM
  • You can go to central administration> manage content databases and check which web application that content databases are attached to. This would give you an idea of all databases.

• Marked as answer by Paul Galvin Wednesday, April 13, 2011 7:21 PM
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 4:56 PM

All replies

• You can go to central administration> manage content databases and check which web application that content databases are attached to. This would give you an idea of all databases.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 4:56 PM
  • Thanks!
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 5:16 PM
  • SharePoint has different Databases for each web application, Configuration and Central Administration.

1 Database for SharePoint Configuration (SharePoint_Config_{Guid})

1 Database for SharePoint Central Administration (SharePoint_AdminContent_{Guid})

If you have 3 web applications, you will have have minimum 3 SharePoint Content Databases. Each will have 1 SharePoint Content Database.

The Content database was named like WSS_Content_{GUID of webapplication}

I think, WSS_Content refers to the 80 port webapplication

If you want to check the webapplication's content database, check the Manage Contnet Database option in Central administration.

Regards,
    Shantha Kumar .T | MCPD - SharePoint Developer 2010 | MCITP - SharePoint Administrator 2010 |
    (B) Shantha Kumar's Blog | (T)Follow me | (C) IOTAP
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 5:19 PM
  • Thank you both.  That helped me resolve the issue!
    • Unmarked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, April 14, 2011 8:14 AM
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 5:22 PM