Fix Default Apps RRS feed

• Question

• K I want to start off:

1) Created a base image, removing all unwanted apps, leaving the store intact, sysprepped, deployed.

2) Test News accounts (Works flawless), Open store and install App (no problem, select No thanks for login, app download and installs), go to Default apps (lots have removed associations due to the removal of metro apps, Photo Viewer a good example, shows TWINUI) Select Paint3D (Freshly installed form App Store) and is applied without issue.

3) Use Foresnic TransWiz tool to copy users profile from old Windows 10 machine (1511-1607) and apply to new clean base image machine (1803).

The issue I have is anytime I run the TransWiz to migrate the user profile everything gets moved over perfectly, but for some annoying reason after I migrate the users profile with this tool I can't set any default Apps, The Metro Settings window opens fine, when I select a type to define an app for the list of apps appear fine, but as soon as I select one to use (Photo Viewers - Paint3D For Example) the metro window just force closes and the default app is not defined. Wash, rinse, repeat for any default app setting attempt, setting apps via extension type does the same thing.

Now I've run procmon, to see what is all being triggered when I attempt to do this, and there are a lot of Reg calls for apps to list (makes sense considering the request operation) however I could not filter out what was causing the metro app to crash....

All I got was a TON of WenFault.exe and telemetry calls that I had an impossible time filtering through for the root cause.

If someone know exactly how this new TwinUI Mechanism works and what reg keys I'd need to restore to bring it back that would be great.

Why I think it can be resolved via a reg key: If I delete the users profile and let it rebuild from the default profile, everything goes back to working fine. I don't want to go down this road cause of ONE problem... UGh! Please any idea is greatly appreciated! 

The best I read was this which states: "There is a bug in Windows 10 that shows for some users where they can’t change their system’s default programs in the Settings app. All their defaults have been reset to show “TWINUI”. This simply means that they have no default programs set, usually because of System Registry corruption, and they’re getting the same bad fallback name as surface in Firefox. The problem can be resolved by restoring the registry from a backup before the corruption occurred."

Which doesn't help me here... i need to know which keys!

• Edited by Zewwy Tuesday, October 16, 2018 4:41 PM
    Tuesday, October 16, 2018 4:39 PM

Answers

• Yes,

I used a different tool to migrate user profiles:

USMT GUI by Thomas Ehlers.

/Begin MS Rant

Seriously the fact MS killed off Windows WET, and then only gave admins a rough framework like UMST (User State Migration Tool) that doesn't even have a GUI and MS calls it a tool is so embarrassing.

I'm getting real sick of MS new model to screw everyone who runs on Prem and to force them onto the cloud cause that's where MS is providing all the tools.... 

I'm super upset. I recently got an email from Ehlers basically asking for a cry to helpon these types of things and the only way we can get feedback is through the "Feedback Hub".

It's so sad that professional coders and admins who have inside access to people who work for MS and ask for help, and are forced to go through a portal that every day home users use, it's not FAIR!

/End MS Rant

• Marked as answer by Zewwy Wednesday, November 21, 2018 4:23 PM
    Wednesday, November 21, 2018 4:23 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your description, I found a similar case may give you some ideas, please refer to the link:

Can't change default programs in windows 10 (Resolved)

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files-winpc/cant-change-default-programs-in-windows-10/229fc3a9-25c9-433b-a333-5806bc5090db

Hope it can help you.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Tony_Tao Wednesday, October 31, 2018 6:39 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Zewwy Wednesday, November 21, 2018 4:23 PM
    Wednesday, October 17, 2018 1:53 AM
  • That didn't help, it's full of people complaining that it shouldn't be marked as resolved.
    Monday, October 22, 2018 2:03 PM
  • Hi,

We haven’t heard from you for a couple of days, have you solved the problem?  

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 7, 2018 5:25 AM
  • Yes,

I used a different tool to migrate user profiles:

USMT GUI by Thomas Ehlers.

/Begin MS Rant

Seriously the fact MS killed off Windows WET, and then only gave admins a rough framework like UMST (User State Migration Tool) that doesn't even have a GUI and MS calls it a tool is so embarrassing.

I'm getting real sick of MS new model to screw everyone who runs on Prem and to force them onto the cloud cause that's where MS is providing all the tools.... 

I'm super upset. I recently got an email from Ehlers basically asking for a cry to helpon these types of things and the only way we can get feedback is through the "Feedback Hub".

It's so sad that professional coders and admins who have inside access to people who work for MS and ask for help, and are forced to go through a portal that every day home users use, it's not FAIR!

/End MS Rant

• Marked as answer by Zewwy Wednesday, November 21, 2018 4:23 PM
    Wednesday, November 21, 2018 4:23 PM