Dump DNS data to CSV RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I want to get the results of the following into a csv file, but when I pipe the output to convertto-csv, the output changes

Get-DnsServerResourceRecord -ComputerName $DNSServer -ZoneName $ZoneName | Where-Object {$_.RecordType -eq "CNAME" -or $_.RecordType -eq "A" } 

Returns Hostname, RecordType, timestamp, TimeToLive, and RecordData where RecordData is either an IP address or a FQDN. 

When I pipe the output to a csv by adding | ConvertTo-Csv the RecordData changes to the object type, DnsServerResourceRecordCName, or DnsServerResourceRecordA and the specific IP address and FQDN data is lost.  

How can I preserve the IP address and FQDN data and write it to the csv file so that I can get the same output in the file as is displayed on the screen?

Thursday, November 9, 2017 8:29 PM

Answers

• Get-DnsServerResourceRecord -ComputerName $DNSServer -ZoneName $ZoneName |
        Where-Object {$_.RecordType -eq "CNAME" -or $_.RecordType -eq "A" }  |
        Select -expand RecordData

What do you see?

\_(ツ)_/

• Marked as answer by jrv Monday, May 6, 2019 5:44 PM
    Friday, November 10, 2017 2:56 PM

All replies

• It should be fairly easy since you have it working already. you just need to pick what value you want to pass onto your csv file. I would just use Select command and Export-CSV command like below

<pre>

Get-DnsServerResourceRecord -ComputerName $DNSServer -ZoneName $ZoneName | Where-Object {$_.RecordType -eq "CNAME" -or $_.RecordType -eq "A" } Select Hostname, RecordType, timestamp, TimeToLive, RecordData | Export-CSV C:\temp\OutputFile.csv -notype

</pre>

So. Try that command. It should work.

Thursday, November 9, 2017 10:13 PM
  • You need to use a calculated select statement to extract the underlying value in the object.

Search for how to use calculated properties.

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, November 9, 2017 10:29 PM
  • Get-DnsServerResourceRecord -ComputerName $DNSServer -ZoneName $ZoneName |
        Where-Object {$_.RecordType -eq "CNAME" -or $_.RecordType -eq "A" }  |
        Select -expand RecordData

What do you see?

\_(ツ)_/

• Marked as answer by jrv Monday, May 6, 2019 5:44 PM
    Friday, November 10, 2017 2:56 PM
  • jrv, I can do this but don't know how to do it using an operator like -or

This works for the FQDN 

Get-DnsServerResourceRecord -ComputerName $DNSServer -ZoneName $ZoneName | Where-Object {$_.RecordType -eq "CNAME" } | Select-Object HostName, RecordType, @{N="RecordData"; E={$_.RecordData.HostNameAlias}}

And this works for the IPv4 data

Get-DnsServerResourceRecord -ComputerName $DNSServer -ZoneName $ZoneName | Where-Object {$_.RecordType -eq "A" } | Select-Object HostName, RecordType, @{Name="RecordData"; Expression={$_.RecordData.IPv4Address[0]}}

The original output is using either of the two expressions to fill the same column.  I've tried a few variants on the expression but have not gotten it to work yet. 

Friday, November 10, 2017 3:12 PM
  • Hi Naw, I've tried that but the results as the same as when I don't explicitly select the data. 'RecordData' returns the type name w/o the IP or FQDN
    Friday, November 10, 2017 3:14 PM
  • You have to alter the return based on the record type.

\_(ツ)_/

Friday, November 10, 2017 3:30 PM
  • Try something like this and see what you can get out of it and perhaps use dotted notation to extract the relevant data.

$record = Get-DnsServerResourceRecord -zonename "myzone.com"
    $record.RecordData | get-member

Friday, November 10, 2017 4:46 PM
  • Get-DnsServerResourceRecord -ZoneName "zone.com" | select HostName,RecordType,@{n='IP';E={$_.RecordData.IPV4Address}},@{n='CName';E={$_.RecordData.HostNameAlias}} | Export-Csv "C:\temp\zone.csv"

This should be the correctest way. :)

@{n='IP';E={$_.RecordData.IPV4Address}}

@{n='CName';E={$_.RecordData.HostNameAlias}}

The "n=" is simply naming the column of the property in the csv, the "E=" is the expression of the item properties.

Monday, May 6, 2019 5:40 PM