Remote Email using SBS2003 (Exchange 2003) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Looking for some assistance on Remote Mail please.

Users can access their email via mail.<DOMAIN>.co.uk    No problem with that. As it was created with a self issued cert, they get the certificate warning. I look at View Certificates and the certificate says CN=mail.<DOMAIN>.co.uk

Now when I look at IIS on the Server, I right-click on Default Web Site>Properties>Directory Security>View Certificate. I see a completely different certificate CN-publishing.<DOMAIN>.co.uk

It's the same certificate even for the Remote sub folder within Default Web Site.

Am I missing something obvious??  as I would have assumed that the certificate when accessing the URL mail.<DOMAIN>.co.uk would be the same cert that I see when I try and view it on Default Web Site.

If I view the installed Certificates on the Server, they are both there but I can't work out how the URL is picking up mail.<DOMAIN>.co.uk

As always, your help is appreciated.Thanks

Kevin

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 1:08 PM

Answers

All replies

• I never learned much about SBS, but what you see might be explained if there is more than one site on the server, and each is configured to use a host header name.  This means that the name that the user types in the URL determines which site they get to see on the server.  Host header names don't work with SSL, though, so this will only apply if your Default Web Site does not have SSL required.

So, if there is more than one site on the server, check the bindings to see if the TCP/SSL ports are the usual (80/443); or if they are segmented using specific IP addresses; or if any has a host header name configured.

Ultimately, we are looking to see if your OWA is not actually coming from the Default Web Site, but from some other site on the server (because it's possible to create an extra site just for OWA).

Note, though, that if there is only one site, then this doesn't apply.

OWA For SmartPhone

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 1:29 PM
  • Understand what you're saying and thanks for the reply.

However, I only have 5 web sites. They are the standard:

Default Web Site

WSUS

MS Sharepoint Admin

Sharepoint Central Admin

companyweb

To be honest, I've checked all of them and those that have server certificates also use the cert named Publishing.  I just can't work out how a different cert is displayed in the browser than what's configured in IIS

Thanks anyway.

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 1:39 PM
  • I've never known it not to match. It does seem odd.

But I think you may have more luck asking in an IIS group, rather than an Exchange group.  I'd be interested to hear the answer.

OWA For SmartPhone

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 9:39 AM