Dynamic distribution lists and targetAddress attribute relationship RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

I have external users in an active directory on premises with external email addresses in targetAddress. These are managed identities treated in the usual way in a hybrid environment (member accounts in Azure AD). I have now the requirement to remove them from directory sync. Nonetheless, they should still receive email messages in dynamic distribution lists (which are fully on premise) to their external email which is set in their targetAddress attribute in AD. Is this enough or do I need to set a proxyAddress in their AD object as well?

Thank you

Saturday, April 11, 2020 4:20 PM

All replies

• Hi Sebastian Stauber,

The function of "targetAddress" is used to redirect request:

1. For a synced user, this attribute is point to "SMTP:User@domain.mail.onmicrosoft.com", this one is used to redirect Autodiscover request.

2. For a mail user/contact, this attribute is point to "externalUser@externalDomain.com", it is used to flag the target domain, this attribute is working with proxyAddresses for mail routing.

Both of them are the function of "targetAddress".

Do you mean that your an on-premises dynamic distribution list contains some external users, you want to mark sure those users could receive email successfully?

Or do mean that you want to contain some Office 365 mailbox in your on-premises dynamic distribution list?

Could you provide more detail information about your question?

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 13, 2020 2:11 AM
  • Hi Sebastian Stauber,

I am writing here to confirm with you how thing going now?

If the above suggestion helps, please be free to mark it as an answer for helping more people.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 16, 2020 5:25 AM
  • Thank you for your answer!

Yes, my DDL contains some external users and I want to make sure they receive mail even though their proxyaddress attribute is not filled. Only the targetAddress attribute gets filled. 

Will this work when proxyAddress is empty?

Sunday, April 19, 2020 8:38 PM
  • Thank you for your answer!

Yes, my DDL contains some external users and I want to make sure they receive mail even though their proxyaddress attribute is not filled. Only the targetAddress attribute gets filled. 

Will this work when proxyAddress is empty?

This kind of email is blocked by the recipient mail server, recipient mail server doesn't accept such kind of email.

Here is may be a workaround for you:

1. Create a user mailbox(userA@yourdomain.com) in your Exchange server to represent this external user (Receive email for this external user).

2. Contain this user mailbox in dynamic distribution group.

4. Create a transport rule, "when send email to userA@yourdomain.com, Add externalUser@externalDomain.com to the To list"

Based on my testing, this action could works. 

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Wednesday, April 22, 2020 6:36 AM