none
SP 2013 with SQL Server 2016 Reporting Service Addin Issues

Question

• Hello

I am in a process of setting up the Reporting Service for my SharePoint 2013 Farm. I have a separate Reporting Server database and SharePoint Development single server box.

My development box is SharePoint 2013 with SQL Server 2014 Enterprise edition. The report server is SQL Server 2016 Developer Edition. I have installed the Reporting Services in my SharePoint development box successfully without the Add-in as I wanted to install the SQL Server 2016 Reporting service add-in. Also I installed the sql server 2016 Reporting Service add-in successfully. This is supported scenario as per the Microsoft documentation.

I am able to see the service SQL Server Reporting Service Application under manage Services. If I try to create new instance, it throws me error:

I also tried installing powershell command prompt resulting same error.

I checked in the ‘services in server’ SSRS service is started. I did stop and start again the services and no use.

I also repaired the SharePoint, SQL Server and PS config sync but none worked. Will you please let me know if you have any resolution?

Thanks in advance

Shri

Friday, March 17, 2017 5:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It’s hard to figure out the root cause depend on the error message you provided.

Please reproduce this issue and click TECHNICAL DETAILS, then check for the ULS logs based on Correlation ID, which would give you useful information to figure out the root cause.

ULS viewer is a good tool to check for ULS logs and you can filter error messages by error keywords.

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Saturday, March 18, 2017 9:12 AM
  • Hi Dean,

Can you confirm if we can have report server setup as a different server? This means Report server is installed and configured in the Server A and  SharePoint 2013 Enterprise is installed on Server B with SQL Server 2016 Reporting service add-in installed. Now I am going to create a reporting service application for the Report server. Is this something valid scenario? I know that Microsoft supports SP 2013 with SQL Server 2016 reporting services addin as per Microsoft supported scenario but not sure if we have this in separate servers, we can still setup a sharepoit mode SSRS.

Please advise.

Thanks

Shri

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 6:31 PM
  • Here is the error. its the same:

Application error when access /_admin/ReportServer/ReportServiceAppSettings.aspx, Error=[A]Microsoft.ReportingServices.SharePoint.SharedService.Service.ReportingWebServiceInstance cannot be cast to [B]Microsoft.ReportingServices.SharePoint.SharedService.Service.ReportingWebServiceInstance. Type A originates from 'Microsoft.ReportingServices.SharePoint.SharedService, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' in the context 'Default' at location 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.ReportingServices.SharePoint.SharedService\12.0.0.0__89845dcd8080cc91\Microsoft.ReportingServices.SharePoint.SharedService.dll'. Type B originates from 'Microsoft.ReportingServices.SharePoint.SharedService, Version=13.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' in the cont... d197e09d-1276-200b-531c-9a605ddd9973

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 6:42 PM
  • I currently have a single server sharepoint farm(with SQL Server 2014 enterprise) and a report server(sql server 2016 SP1 Enterprise).

SharePoint web application and other services working as expected.

The requirement is to install SQL Server 2016 SP1 Reporting service Add-in on the sharepoint 2013 farm so that current SP2013 farm can consume sql 2016 reports via addin. Here are the steps I executed but when I try to create a new SQL Service application,

1. Installed  SQL Server 2014 Reporting Services –SharePoint on the SharePoint 2013 Server successfully
    2. Installed SQL Server 2016 Reporting Services Addin successfully
    3. rebooted
    4. PS config sync applied
    5. Goto Manage Service application -> Create SQL Reporting Service Application throws the error related to casting:

[A]Microsoft.ReportingServices.SharePoint.SharedService.Service.SPRSDiagnosticsService cannot be

cast to [B]Microsoft.ReportingServices.SharePoint.SharedService.Service.SPRSDiagnosticsService. Type A originates from

'Microsoft.ReportingServices.SharePoint.SharedService, Version=13.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,

PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' in the context 'Default' at location 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.Reporting

Services.SharePoint.SharedService\13.0.0.0__89845dcd8080cc91\Microsoft.ReportingServices.SharePoint.SharedService.dll'.

Type B originates from 'Microsoft.ReportingServices.SharePoint.SharedService, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,

PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' in the context 'Default' at location 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.Reporting

Services.SharePoint.SharedService\12.0.0.0__89845dcd8080cc91\Microsoft.ReportingServices.SharePoint.SharedService.dll'.

Anyone experienced this issue and any fix? Please please help me.

This is urgent.

Friday, March 24, 2017 6:09 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, you can set this scenario.

In your step 1, you installed  SQL Server 2014 Reporting Services. You need to install SQL Server 2016 SP1 Reporting Service in Report server, not 2014 Reporting Service.

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, March 27, 2017 9:32 AM
  • Yes, on the report server, its sql server 2016 SP1 installed.

How about the sharepoint server 2013 box? Do I still have to install Reporting services (sql server 2014) in addition to SQL Server 2016 SP1?

or should I completely remove the reporting service component from sharepoint 2013 server and just install  the SQL Server 2016 sp1 add-in? I noticed, if I do not install the report services component on the sharepoint server, the reporting services wont be available under manage/create service application.

Please advise.

Thanks

Shri

Monday, March 27, 2017 7:19 PM
  • I was wondering. Did you manage to fix it? we got the same issue here. 2 different dll's for RS do not work good together.
    Saturday, December 30, 2017 4:12 PM