none
Unable to parse unattend answer file. RRS feed

  • Question

  • Using MDT 2013, I created a build and capture image for Windows 8.1 Pro that installed all the Windows updates and then saved a new wim file.  This completed with no errors.

    I then used the new WIM file to try to deploy the OS to the same hardware but it fails.  After installing the OS and rebooting, it never completely loads Windows.  It instead stops with this error about value outside the range of acceptable values, but it doesn't say what specific value.

    These same values worked fine on the original build and capture image.

    Here is the error:

    It says the problem is at oobeSystem.

    This is what's there:

     <OOBE>
                    <HideEULAPage>true</HideEULAPage>
                    <NetworkLocation>Work</NetworkLocation>
                    <ProtectYourPC>1</ProtectYourPC>
                    <HideLocalAccountScreen>true</HideLocalAccountScreen>
                    <HideWirelessSetupInOOBE>true</HideWirelessSetupInOOBE>
                    <HideOEMRegistrationScreen>true</HideOEMRegistrationScreen>
                    <HideOnlineAccountScreens>true</HideOnlineAccountScreens>
                </OOBE>

    What could be causing this problem?  I can't see anything wrong with it especially since it worked on the build and capture task sequence.  I can't see why it won't work with the standard deployment task sequence.

    Wednesday, December 31, 2014 2:11 AM

All replies

  • I opened the unattend file on the c:\windows\pather drive of the tablet I am trying to deploy and the contents stop at <oobe> there is no more text from that point on.

    I don't know if that is cause or result of this issue, but I tried multiple times with the same result.

    The unattend.xml is complete in Deploy\Control on the media (external USB hard drive)  I am using to deploy the task sequence.


    • Edited by MyGposts Wednesday, December 31, 2014 2:33 AM
    Wednesday, December 31, 2014 2:32 AM
  • I went back ans reran the original build and capture task sequence that worked 2 days ago and now I get the same unattend.xml related error there also.
    Wednesday, December 31, 2014 6:09 PM
  • I can't tell from the XML section above what the problem is, although I don't believe that HideOEMRegistrationScreen is present in the standard unattend.*.xml templates supplied by MDT, so I suspect that this was a custom property added by you. That is one of the problems with modifying the unattend.xml file yourself, it increases the opportunies to break things.
    If you still need assistance, please copy your unattend.xml file and panther logs to a public site like oneDrive.

    Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

    Wednesday, December 31, 2014 8:40 PM
    Moderator
  • I can't tell from the XML section above what the problem is, although I don't believe that HideOEMRegistrationScreen is present in the standard unattend.*.xml templates supplied by MDT, so I suspect that this was a custom property added by you. That is one of the problems with modifying the unattend.xml file yourself, it increases the opportunies to break things.
    If you still need assistance, please copy your unattend.xml file and panther logs to a public site like oneDrive.

    Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com


    I did not manually edit the file.
    Wednesday, December 31, 2014 9:08 PM
  • I did not manually edit the file.

    Never the less, we still need to look at the file and the logs to continue.


    Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

    Monday, January 5, 2015 11:40 PM
    Moderator
  • I just wiped it all and created a new image file from scratch with the A/V disabled on the MDT machine and the problem went way.

    I seems like A/V scanning causes all kinds of weird problems with MDT deployments.

    Tuesday, January 6, 2015 4:07 AM