What does "Some items might be hidden. Include these in your search" mean? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

When you type in some text in the quick search box in a list view web part and perform the search, the message "Some items might be hidden. Include these in your search" always appears at the bottom of the web part.

In what circumstance would some items be hidden and will show up after clicking 'Include'?

At first I thought it might be the items not included in the current view, but clicking 'Include' does not show those items either.

Thank you for any information.

Friday, May 8, 2015 3:43 AM

Answers

• By default, the search box on a list will only return results at the folder level it was searched at - it will not return results that are inside of folders. Clicking on "include" will show the results that are deeper in the folder hierarchy.

Also, there are some additional issues with this if you have more than 5000 documents that exceed the list view threshold. The search box on a list will only query the first 5000 items from the sql database, and return up to 500 results, it will start a new cycle again on the first 5000 items rather than continue to return results on the rest of the items.

Friday, November 4, 2016 6:15 PM

All replies

• Hi,

From your description, I have done a test in my SharePoint and I can reproduce your issue.

For your issue, make sure you have not set filter on the list.

Go to Library/List Tab->Modify View->Filter section, choose "Show all items in this view".

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 11, 2015 7:20 AM
  • Thank you Lisa for the reply.

However, it does not answer the question on the Title of this discussion: What does "Some items might be hidden. Include these in your search" mean?

If every time we can't find an item by clicking the "Include these in your search" link then we need to change the view to show all items, then what's the point of that "Include these in your search" link anyway?

I hope you can understand what I'm trying to ask.

Regards

• Edited by Conway Liu Monday, May 11, 2015 9:20 PM
    Monday, May 11, 2015 9:20 PM
  • Hi,

Here are some similar issue posts, you can take a look at:

http://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/90741/tags-on-documents-are-searchable-but-not-visible

http://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/91169/search-results-including-metadata-keywords-always-hidden

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/1c2bda20-112c-4e3b-838e-3307b4212441/some-files-might-be-hidden-include-these-in-your-search?forum=sharepointsearch

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 2:49 AM
  • Thank you again Lisa, for your time.

I had Googled enough and had seen those articles (which didn't have any solutions) before I decided to ask the question here....

At the moment, I just want to know What does "Some items might be hidden. Include these in your search" mean? What does 'hidden' mean? Not in current view or folder? Why does the 'Include' link NEVER works.

Thank you.

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 3:01 AM
  • Hi there, I am eager to understand this as well.

I get this message also very regular. But I don't understand the rationale.

Interested to see if anyone knows.. :)

Regards,

Jos

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 1:51 PM
  • I have recently checked the ULS log after using the list search box to search for an item.

The query text submitted for search before and after the 'Include these items' link appears to be identical. So I believe Microsoft have tried to create a feature, but forgot to complete it for the users....

Thursday, October 29, 2015 11:54 PM
  • By default, the search box on a list will only return results at the folder level it was searched at - it will not return results that are inside of folders. Clicking on "include" will show the results that are deeper in the folder hierarchy.

Also, there are some additional issues with this if you have more than 5000 documents that exceed the list view threshold. The search box on a list will only query the first 5000 items from the sql database, and return up to 500 results, it will start a new cycle again on the first 5000 items rather than continue to return results on the rest of the items.

Friday, November 4, 2016 6:15 PM