none
unable to save baseline 2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am unable to save any tasks as Baseline 2 in my project.  I am using MS Project Standard 2010 (14.0.6112.5000).  I have a baseline and baseline 1 already and want to make a copy of the current dates to baseline 2, but it will not save the dates. 

Thanks for your help

Mike

Michael Walsh

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 2:09 PM

Answers

• Thanks John.  I wish I could send the file to you but it contains sensitive data.  I was able to save all incomplete tasks as an interim baseline (start 2/finish 2), so I guess I will continue on that way.

Thanks for your help!

Mike

Michael Walsh

Thursday, July 5, 2012 2:45 PM

All replies

• Hi Michael,

Please provide more details into this, as I don't see any reason why Baseline 2 cannot be saved when you are using Standard version only. Does your project have any macro which is used to alter/save baselines?

Sapna S

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 2:12 PM
  • Hi Sapna,

I am not running any macros.  I have tried saving the entire project as well as just incomplete tasks without success.  I did test just one task and it worked.

Thanks, Mike

Michael Walsh

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 2:17 PM
  • Try to re-open file and save baseline, if not save a copy and then test saving baseline. May be a temporary system non-reaction or file corruption.

Sapna S

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 2:19 PM
  • Sapna,

I made a copy, removed the baseline and baseline 1, tried saving a baseline, baseline 1, baseline 2, and it will not save any dates now.  Crazy.

Thanks, Mike

Michael Walsh

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 2:34 PM
  • Michael,

Do you have the SP-1 update installed? If not, go to, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/ee748587, download and install it.

If you already have the update installed or after installing it the problem still exists, then you probably have a corrupt file. Go to the MVP website at, http://www.mvps.org/project/faqs.htm, and try one or more of the methods applicable to Project 2010 found in FAQ 43 - handling project file corruption and/or bloat.

John

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 3:16 PM
  • Hi John,

I do have SP1 installed and just tried all methods available for MSP 2010 Standard under ques #43 without success.  I think it may be corrupted.  One strange thing is that it works if I use the control key to select individual tasks.  Only problem is I can't use this method (control key) to select all the tasks I need as there are far more tasks than the limit the control key allows you to select.  I also tried using the shift key selecting the first task and last task but it did not work.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Michael Walsh

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 5:42 PM
  •  You can try importing and exporting in XML format as a second thought to eliminate corruption issues. Just another troubleshooting idea - try saving Interim Plan see if it works; once you are able to save these new Dates into Start1 and Finish1 try copying them to Baseline 2. Note try this method only in case you are looking for Dates snapshot; Interim plan doesn't save all the variables associated with Baselines.

Sapna S

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 6:30 PM
  • Michael,

Yeah, this is a weird one alright. It sounds like you can set Baseline2 but only for a limited number of tasks.

Since you tried clearing corruption via the methods outlined in FAQ 43 without success, let's try re-setting your Global file. Maybe that is corrupt. First close Project. If you are running Windows 7 you will find the working Global file at, C:/users/[computer name]/app data/roaming/microsoft/MS Project/14/1033. Move it to the trash. Now re-start Project. A new default Global will be generated. Open your file and try setting Baseline2.

Note: the default Global will not contain any custom views, filters, etc. that may have been in your old Global. If necessary those can be recovered but doing so could bring back corruption.

John

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 8:15 PM
  • Are you using a master project?  This sounds like master project behavior.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

Wednesday, July 4, 2012 12:22 AM
  • John,

I think the answer is yes but will this process remove all custom views, filters, etc. from all MSP files? 

Thanks, Mike

Michael Walsh

Thursday, July 5, 2012 12:17 PM
  • Thanks for the respons Sapna.  I will try this method.  Mike

Michael Walsh

Thursday, July 5, 2012 12:17 PM
  • Andrew,

Thanks for the response.  No, I am not using a master project.  It is a standalone schedule.

Mike

Michael Walsh

Thursday, July 5, 2012 12:18 PM
  • John,

I just took another unrelated MSP schedule file and was able to set all the baselines.  It seems to be only happening within this particular file.  Knowing that, does it make sense to re-set the Global file?

Thanks, Mike

Michael Walsh

Thursday, July 5, 2012 12:47 PM
  • Michael,

The fact that the issue is only present in the one file indicates some type of file corruption, not a problem with your Global. The Global file affects all project files.

Would it be possible for you to send me the file so I can take a look at it? If so, zip it and send it to the address below. I will ask some questions. If you do send it, help me by explaining exactly what I should look for.

John

jensenljatatfastmaildotdotfm

(remove obvious redundancies and the 7th character is an alpha)

Thursday, July 5, 2012 2:27 PM
  • Thanks John.  I wish I could send the file to you but it contains sensitive data.  I was able to save all incomplete tasks as an interim baseline (start 2/finish 2), so I guess I will continue on that way.

Thanks for your help!

Mike

Michael Walsh

Thursday, July 5, 2012 2:45 PM
  • Michael,

Okay, I could provide you with a macro that removes all sensitive data from the file, but if you are satisfied with the interim baseline approach, then this is about the best we can do to help you unless someone else steps in with a "Eureka" moment.

John

Thursday, July 5, 2012 2:52 PM
  • Thanks John.

Michael Walsh

Thursday, July 5, 2012 3:04 PM
  • Michael,

You're welcome. I'm sorry we didn't really get to the root of the problem.

John

Thursday, July 5, 2012 8:06 PM