Issue with update KB2724197 on Windows XP RRS feed

• Question

• After installing the update KB2724197 on WIN XP Professional  Service pack 3, DOS applications fail with "run-time error R6009 - not enough space for environment".

Programs work fine if the update is uninstalled. Is this a known issue?

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 6:07 AM

All replies

• Max

It’s known to some of us forum members. That update negates the use of EMS and I, along with many others, have removed/blocked it. Let’s hope it is reissued correctly.

Open a cmd prompt, type mem /c and press Enter. You should have Conventional Memory and Upper Memory. If only Conventional Memory is showing then EMS is not being utilised, i.e. the update is installed.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 7:52 AM
  • Thank you for the response.

"mem /c" doesn't show the upper memory after the KB2724197 update.

is there any fix for it because the DOS application needs the upper memory, I think?

or the update is to be uninstalled?

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 8:01 AM
  • That's right, if your program needs the upper memory, the update has to be uninstalled.

Don't forget to hide it as well, otherwise it will, depending upon your update settings, download again.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 8:16 AM
  • After installing KB2724197 on my stock Dell Dimension 8400, the computer refused to launch Windows and crashed with a BSOD and an "Internal Power Failure" message. I was able to recover by:

- launching Windows in Safe Mode
    - reverting to a previous Restore Point
    - disabling Windows Automatic Updates = OFF
    - launching Windows in Normal Mode
    - removing KB2424197 from the Windows Update list
    - re-enabling Windows Automatic Update = ON

It took me about 6 hours to figure this all out... I hope my posting helps some other unfortunate user with a Dell 8400 (or similar).

-larry

Monday, October 22, 2012 10:02 AM