arodie RRS feed

• Question

• my ipv6 adapter has a problem I get an exclamation mark in a triangle. according to my technical support group I am supposed to go on the net to download this driver uninstall and reinstall it again.  However while the driver is down I am unable to get on the net, any suggestions.
    Sunday, April 5, 2009 10:35 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Firstly, please let us know the following:

1.    Do you connect to the network via IPv6 or IPv4?

2.    I know that you cannot connect to the network, please go to the Device Manager to see if your physical network card exists.

3.    How do you connect to the network, via a router or connect directly? Is your computer in a domain or workgroup?

If everything worked before, a quick solution is to restore the system back to the previous status when the issue didn’t occur with System Restore. (Note: Performing a system restore may cause the loss of the current system settings; therefore, before doing this, please make sure that the system restore point is not too old and set a restore point for the current status.)

At this time, please try to remove and reinstall the NIC driver and see if it works.

If the issue persists, please capture some screenshot on “Device Manager – Network Adapters”.

Capture a screenshot

==============

1)   Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2)   Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

3)   In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".

4)   The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".

5)   Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click “Desktop” on the left pane and then click "Save".

Please use Windows Live SkyDrive (http://www.skydrive.live.com/) to upload the file and share its URL with us.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 10:49 AM
  • Thank you for your advice it was very helpful.  However after the problem persisting I decided to buy a new computer.  The funny thing was that after hours on the phone to tech support and 300 dollars for a tech as well as a new computer I discovered that there was nothing wrong with my comptuer I simply had a faulty dsl cable.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 11:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Firstly, please let us know the following:

1.    Do you connect to the network via IPv6 or IPv4?

2.    I know that you cannot connect to the network, please go to the Device Manager to see if your physical network card exists.

3.    How do you connect to the network, via a router or connect directly? Is your computer in a domain or workgroup?

If everything worked before, a quick solution is to restore the system back to the previous status when the issue didn’t occur with System Restore. (Note: Performing a system restore may cause the loss of the current system settings; therefore, before doing this, please make sure that the system restore point is not too old and set a restore point for the current status.)

At this time, please try to remove and reinstall the NIC driver and see if it works.

If the issue persists, please capture some screenshot on “Device Manager – Network Adapters”.

Capture a screenshot

==============

1)   Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2)   Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

3)   In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".

4)   The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".

5)   Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click “Desktop” on the left pane and then click "Save".

Please use Windows Live SkyDrive (http://www.skydrive.live.com/) to upload the file and share its URL with us.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 10:49 AM
  • Thank you for your advice it was very helpful.  However after the problem persisting I decided to buy a new computer.  The funny thing was that after hours on the phone to tech support and 300 dollars for a tech as well as a new computer I discovered that there was nothing wrong with my comptuer I simply had a faulty dsl cable.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 11:08 AM