Can ProClarity members be shared in cubes that share the same dimension? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have tested this with a negative result so far on the Adventure Works cube.

If i create a member, in ProClarity Professional (6.3), on the customer dimensions, like adding two US states to a member, in cube A (SSAS 2005), can that member be used in cube B, in the same cube database, that uses the same customer dimension?

• The dimension is the same
    • The dimension is used in two cubes in the same cube database project
    • We use PAS 6.3 as the report repository

I am grateful for any help!

Thomas Ivarsson

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 6:18 PM

Answers

• Thomas,

Yes, you can share calculated members and named sets across cubes by publishing these items to PAS.  Here is the process:

1. Right-click on the Calculated Member (or Named Set) in the My Items folder and choose the "Copy to..." menu.
    2. In the Copy To dialog box, choose a PAS library in the Location drop-down box.
    3. Modify the Name of the item as necessary, enter the description (highly recommended but not required), and press OK.
    4. The item will now show up under the Shared Items folder.  Right-click on the item in the Shared Items folder and choose the "Properties" menu.
    5. Change the Scope drop-down box to "All cubes with a Customer Geography hierarchy" and press OK.
    6. Log on to Cube B. You should find the member under the Shared Items folder of the Customer Geography hierarchy.

This is a really nice feature but you must be careful when using it.  If the logic of your Set or Member references an item, such as a Measure or Dimension, that is unique to the cube it was created on, it will not work in another cube.  In your example though where you are combining members from a single hierarchy, you should be fine.

-Jason

BTG Services

Thursday, October 16, 2008 7:33 PM

All replies

• Thomas,

Yes, you can share calculated members and named sets across cubes by publishing these items to PAS.  Here is the process:

1. Right-click on the Calculated Member (or Named Set) in the My Items folder and choose the "Copy to..." menu.
    2. In the Copy To dialog box, choose a PAS library in the Location drop-down box.
    3. Modify the Name of the item as necessary, enter the description (highly recommended but not required), and press OK.
    4. The item will now show up under the Shared Items folder.  Right-click on the item in the Shared Items folder and choose the "Properties" menu.
    5. Change the Scope drop-down box to "All cubes with a Customer Geography hierarchy" and press OK.
    6. Log on to Cube B. You should find the member under the Shared Items folder of the Customer Geography hierarchy.

This is a really nice feature but you must be careful when using it.  If the logic of your Set or Member references an item, such as a Measure or Dimension, that is unique to the cube it was created on, it will not work in another cube.  In your example though where you are combining members from a single hierarchy, you should be fine.

-Jason

BTG Services

Thursday, October 16, 2008 7:33 PM
  • Thanks Jason, I will try this.

Thomas Ivarsson

Friday, October 17, 2008 5:02 AM

• Jason,

Thank you, that was just the information I needed.
    Monday, October 5, 2009 6:21 PM